Calling all 272 owners!

If the requirement is for a digital pre-amp - there are now lots of alternatives which I belive are very good alternatives

Yes I recently paid my dealer a visit to have a listen to some other kit and he mentioned that the Naim brand was very much on the back burner as the wait for delivery gives rise to negative feeling. The non Naim products I was interested in we’re said to be in stock ready for delivery, albeit in small numbers.

2 Likes

It’s already been said (by Claire) that there will be something to replace the 272, and it’s NOT the Atom HE.

3 Likes

Yup, all of this has been covered but I’m sure that won’t prevent recycling the speculation.

Like some others, I gave up waiting and found an alternative. Plenty of good options out there, many with short lead times.

1 Like

Just traded in our 272.

There will definitely be new models soon but for us it was too little, too late, a little too long :grinning:

Move on up :+1:

1 Like

To upgrade for functionality would be an expensive upgrade, and with Innuos mini mk3, I believe I have that functionality. I may consider an S-level series pre-amp/streamer, but a straightforward 272 MK 2 replacement probably not. Currently have 272/555/250; however, it’s been complicated by the return of the laser repair service for the CDS3, which hopefully will be returned soon after a slight hiccup. I will probably run with my xps2 non-dr (which I have fortunately not sold yet) and have the 272/555/250 as the amp.

3 Likes

Sure, but company strategies change. Unfortunately sometimes even often in short succession. Projects can be axed, reprioritised, etc.

It’s been a while since the 272 was discontinued, I think we can be certain something changed in the strategy. Only time will tell what.

1 Like

The passage of time is no indication of certainty to strategy, it’s just the passage of time.

Very philosophical. As @feeling_zen said previously a commercial company does not just discontinue an item and hint at its replacement if it isn’t lined up. That we haven’t seen it yet is likely a clear indication something changed. We just don’t know what.

1 Like

Maybe maybe not. The information you have is not enough to make that determination.

Green light is gone - no one really believe it will come back again.

1 Like

It will look awful mixing green and white lights in the Fraim. They could at least have put a diode in there which you can change colors on for those that still will have old boxes but might want a new one. For the sake of respect of history and customers (and design).

3 Likes

This is the reason we’ve been completing our classic system before the upcoming changes. 6 matching boxes, 7 if we pick up a 300DR ex demo.

One of the main reasons SWMBO didn’t want my old hifi in her lounge was it didn’t all match!

1 Like

I think I read somewhere on the forum that the green colour comes from a film, so I’m assuming the light behind that film is white… fairly easy then, surely, for Naim to give green as an option going forward if it changes is branding to white. I’d quite like to remove the green personally, and wonder if that could be done by removing the film…

Naim are just chicken. On one hand they are leaving money on the table not having a higher end streamer/pre/dac or a higher end alternative to Innuos/Melco. On the other hand they don’t want to anger the “naimerati” that use separates (like many on this forum) by offering a shortcut :slight_smile:

More seriously I think Naim is set on keeping pre/power amplifiers analog. If nothing else to keep the Naim “tone”. I would guess they originally saw the 172/272 as stepping stones onto the separates. It must be pretty frustrating seeing a lot of 272-users either moving upwards to other brands or downwards to the HE.

1 Like

I am very happy with my 272… with XPSDR the sound is good, Qobuz studio via mconnect works perfectly, why should I go elsewhere? I know it’s always better…

1 Like

Is “your” S72 preamp and streamer or does it have amp, pre, streamer and power supply (I can dream—hope it’s smaller than my refrigerator).

If it was Statement level with all that included I wonder as to the weight!

It would have to be a complete new design. But hey, new things can be developed, look at Tesla.

1 Like