Calling All Fraim Brains/Brawn Stacks Aficionados!

DIN/XLRs connect the head unit of the 500 to the power supply of the 552, so it is the spacing of these boxes that is critical.

FWIW: my 300DR XLR are one meter. They reach from the bottom shelf of my brain Fraim to the third shelf up on my brawn Fraim to the SCDR (all std levels). The right channel just reaches.

Doesnā€™t the XLR on the 500 connect from the headunit to the preamp PSU (i.e. 552 PS)?

Yes

Yes, my bad, I have corrected my reply.

1 Like

I actually use WitchHat Morgana for my XLRs. They are 1.1 m, and that extra 10 cm makes it a little easier to deal with, but I have to turn the left channel one into a little loop to keep it off the floor.

2 Likes

Do either of your 500 or 552 burndy s touch the floor?

I found itā€™s almost impossible to keep cables from not touching the wall, floor, each other etc. Iā€™ve used hooks placed on Frame and walls to help suspend them. The biggest inprovement in SQ Iā€™ve experienced is putting the sensitive head units on HRS isolation plynths to stop vibration. The sound floor is inky black and the music more revealing.

2 Likes

I got it to where only my 300 Burndies touch the floor. Eveything else hangs free, although some cables touch/cross each other.

I have thought that some snowy winter day when I canā€™t get out cycling a mindless project might be to put my Fraim far enough out in the room where I can just try different combinations of stacking components to see if I land on something that is optimal, but TBH I think I have it about as good as itā€™s going to get.

1 Like

Heresy I know but I donā€™t fret that final 1%. Cables will touch ā€˜stuffā€™ back there be it each other, the rear wall, or the floor. I do some reasonable cable management but itā€™s not in my personality to deal with what 2 dozen cables of varying twists and lengths and tendencies to loop one way or another . . . We all have our limits!

5 Likes

1%? I was thinking Iā€™m happy with getting to that last 85-90%. Then I get lazy and listen to music. Oh wait, thatā€™s what itā€™s for. šŸ¤¦šŸ¼

1 Like

Hi David, it looks like your query has been answered, but just to be absolutely clear, it is the 552PS which is connected to the NAP500. If they are side by side a 1.0m interconnect can be at full stretch to reach the far input (right channel) on the NAP500. Of course this is affected by the space between racks and the flexibility of the chosen DIN-XLR cables.

1 Like

No, nothing touches the floor, the walls or any other cable and without loops or separating the frames. My XLRs are 1.25m and they donā€™t touch the floor either, though they do droop a little lower than shown in the photo, when fully relaxed.

3 Likes

Thanks Clive for clearing up ambiguity. Those DIN-XLR leads indeed connect the 552ps to the 500.

The ā€˜big honking burndiesā€™ connect the 500ps to the 500.

1 Like

This has turned into a great guide to Brains/Brawn Fraim set-up and cable dressing, mindful of the perils of taking things too far. Photos are also a great help.

Thanks to all who have participated.

3 Likes

Never mind all that malarkey, @NigelB, when does your NAP 500 arrive?

Just to echo what I said elsewhere, the 552 is indeed a wonderful piece of kit, yet I was completely taken aback by the changes wrought by the arrival of the 500.

Yer in furra right treat, mah man. :+1:

3 Likes

Expectations are now much higherā€¦ā€¦we are expecting a masterclass in 500 system and fraim set up. No pressurešŸ˜‰

1 Like

I have recently added a 5m set of SL speaker leads to my order (as a planned relocation of Fraim stacks renders my 3m set too short) which has slowed things down. So about a week to go.

I thought it better to get everything in place for when the beast lands at chez Nigel.

Anā€™ mind whit Ah says ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ watch yer back, 'cos yon thing weighs a ton!

1 Like

Indeed, have started morning exercises in preparation!

1 Like

:grimacing:

1 Like