Calling All Fraim Brains/Brawn Stacks Aficionados!

It was many years ago now, but I recall I formed them carefully with an initial rise and then a shallow u to another rise, allowing the cable to just sit above the floor at the lowest point. The plugs themselves formed and aligned so no stress.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks. I have my Fraim as far from the wall as they can go (thick rug is the obstruction).

…it’s actually perfectly fine. Alignment is overrated. And if it works, hey….

1 Like

:grin:

1 Like

Different height Fraim stacks! Really! Utter chaos! This is the beginning of the end!

Aaagghhhh!!

1 Like

I pulled my 300DR Burndies and reformed them to turn up. Now they rest against the wall, but just at two points each and with less stress on their termination, instead of laying out on the floor along much of their length. I don’t know yet that I hear a difference. It’s not obvious to me if there is one. Maybe when I play some things I have better aural memory for I will notice? Maybe not.

4 Likes

I doubt you will notice anything. I find you don’t notice when cable dressing is right but once you are used to it, you notice when something changes and then you can’t not hear that somethings wrong! It’s not night and day, it just sounds off and you can’t quite put your finger on what’s wrong.

2 Likes

Sorted newly purchased 552dr and 500dr with addition of 2 medium height shelves

Left
Ndx2
500 head unit
Space

Right
555psdr
500psdr
552psdt
Space

With this arrangement no cables touch floor except speaker cables
Only hooked up 30 min so not sure it sounds different
But looks much better

11 Likes

Looks great @davidf . I will likely end up with the same except may have mediums on top and middles to play it safe regarding cable dressing. @NigelB may be interested in this setup as well.

2 Likes

Indeed I am.

As you say I am using more med height Fraim levels to get a bit more spacing. I also plan to ‘isolate’ the PS500DR in the brawn rack, as it is the noisiest. To do this I won’t be able to get it off the base level, but it is always a balance of priorities, unless you have endless Fraim levels. I have been able to get the 500 head unit off the base level, as it is sensitive to this position.

You can refer to the Fraim Brawn/Brains Aficionados thread to see how my Fraim plans developed.

I want to try and optimise the Fraim arrangement on the first go, as it is a real faff to start swapping boxes around.

@davidf, how is this arrangement sounding?

nigel, it just sounds great- the new racking order looks much better and as mentioned no cables touch floor or wall.
Does it sound better? Not sure yet as it just sounds soooooo good.
I went from 135s to 500
You`re going from 250 to 500- look forward to hearing about your experience.
Last night had nice 2 hr listening session. Even at low volumes the system sounds great.
David

1 Like

David, glad to hear your system is performing so well, and I will update this fine place once my 500 has landed.

Can I ask, did you leave the base shelves empty because the 500 separates sound better off the bottom shelf, or because it helped getting Burndies off the floor?

1 Like

burndies off the floor

1 Like

Been moving things around in Brains/Brawn world….what do you think? Right order?

Left Fraim

LP12
NDX
300 head unit

Right Fraim

Radikal
Aura phono stage (massive transformer in that 13kg box)
SCDR
300 PS

Advice welcome….

Switching the Radikal and Aura would be my only suggestion…

1 Like

Thank you. That was my original intention but Radikal and Fraim rear post don’t like each other :slightly_frowning_face: so it has to be on top. I understand a right angle connection is available for Radikal so may look into that at some point.

I would consider putting the 300ps as high up on the brawn rack and the SCDR as low down as possible to optimise cable dressing by, hopefully, avoiding touching the floor as there may now be more distance between the power supplies and their associated unit.

Richard

P.s. a right angled connector for your Radikal is very cheap and easy to fit if you want one.

2 Likes

I just use large Pipework insulation stop the cables touching…
Is this wrong? Seemed like a quick and easy fix :joy:

1 Like

As mentioned before, free hanging and not touching anything is preferable, but if that’s not possible, a bit of foam can help in selected places and is better than nothing. (But if the cables are in a pile, sticking them into foam won’t do much good either)