Calling all Scousers: Tips for visiting Liverpool

I want to take my wife, a New Yorker and a deeply devoted Red, to Liverpool for the potential Premier League victory parade.

Assuming such a victory (dangerous, I know), any best guesses as to when it would be held? The Monday after the final game, v. NUFC?

What about hotels? Restaurants & bars? Anything else?

We were in the city in 2013. We knew we wouldn’t get a ticket for the game, but my wife wanted to buy a scarf at the club shop on game day. So we did that, then watched the game (a numbing 0-0 v. WHUFC) at The Sandon. An epic afternoon! Anyway, this time we’d like to be better prepared.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Go to the museum of Liverpool near the Albert Dock, it’s bloody ace.

1 Like

There’s a great large indoor food market with many stalls to chose from within walking distance of the docks…forget the name though

1 Like

Don’t stay in the city. Stay outside the city centre and preferably in one of the great hotels on the Cheshire side. Beatles Museum at the docks is always good but Strawberry Fields is also now open again.

2 Likes
1 Like

Victory parades tend to be organised once the outcome is known, or is increasingly likely. Given Liverpool’s propensity to do a Devon Loch it might not be confirmed till long after the final whistle on the last day :slight_smile: The local police have a big say and will want to avoid clashes with any other events but traditionally yes a Monday evening is the likeliest, assuming it’s decided over the weekend.

When Leicester won it against the odds a few years ago the parade was on the Monday after the penultimate game v Everton on the Saturday, after winning it the previous Monday without playing by dint of Spurs failing to beat Chelsea. Leicester’s final game was away v Chelsea the following weekend, so that Monday was the obvious choice. In brief, it’ll be when the club, the police and the local authority decide when it is.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware that the car jacked up on bricks was a joke???

It is the only part off the world where my then employer strongly advised not taking your own car when attending courses…

Regards

Richard

These are excellent (although I doubt she’ll go for the Goodison Experience). Thanks!

1 Like

The title’s Liverpool’s - get your trip booked ASAP. Wouldn’t be surprised if they go the season unbeaten.

You could try the Titanic hotel by the docks to stay at (done a few jobs there and my sister has stayed over and rated it highly) but do it all soon as every other Liverpool fan from all. over the globe will be making the same victory parade plans.

2 Likes

Liverpool is no better or worse than any other major city for car crime. Just use common sense as you would anywhere else eg, use main car parks where possible, well lit areas in streets and don’t leave anything of value visible in the car. Or ANYTHING at all.

2 Likes

Are you a Blue then Dan?

1 Like

Visit the library in town there’s a lovely period place.
Premier Inn on Albert Dock opposite the Beatles museum is very good

1 Like

Another vote for the Premier Inn at Albert Dock. If we stay there, we go to the little tapas bar opposite, called Lunya, for breakfast, as they do great coffee.
Our other favourite is Hope Street Hotel, up by the cathedral.

2 Likes

Well up there though.

Not a good night to be owning up to that then :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve probably jinxed myself now. I’ll take the train for the next few visits! :rofl:

1 Like

Aldous Harding is always superb.

1 Like

Having grown up and gone to school near Liverpool in the 80’s I used to regard the place as a dump but having worked and lived there in the early 90’s at the start of the regeneration I would now say that it is my favourite city in England.

It’s undoubtedly one of the worlds great cities with a wealth of stunning architecture, history, art, culture and music to be savoured.

Some must do’s in my book include:

Visit the Beatles museum in the Albert Dock
Dinner at Gusto in the Albert Dock (preceded by drinks at the Pump House also at the Albert Dock)
Visit Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane and Woolton Church to see the grave of Eleanor Rigby at the Church where John and Paul first met
Book the private National Trust tour of the Beatles homes - one of the best things I have ever done!
Visit the Anglican and Catholic cathedrals (both amongst the world’s greatest), make sure you get on the roof of the Anglican for stunning views and plan a lunch stop at the Philharmonic Pub near the Catholic which is just superb!
Visit St Georges Hall - one of the finest buildings in England, it makes the Acropolis in Athens look unimpressive.
Make sure you see the pier Head and Cunard India and Liver buildings - superb architecture, maybe combine with ferry across the Mersey.
Take a trip to the Cavern Club and walk up Matthew Street - ideally go to the club at night and be amazed at the atmosphere.

I wouldn’t be worried about my car in the slightest and Liverpool is an absolute joy to drive around compared to London, Manchester, Cardiff and many other cities. Little traffic, easy to navigate and easy to park.

Best of all you will find LIverpool one of the friendliest cities you will ever visit. I absolutely love the city and you are frankly in one of the world’s great musical cities so savour being in the birthplace of the greatest rock band in history!

Jonathan

8 Likes

Don’t you mean better red than blue?

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:

1 Like

Putting in 5 was more than adequate compensation though … :wink:

Let’s hope they don’t call last orders on Silva - I think you are under-rating him. He should be given more time. Lots of it … :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes