Cambridge Evo threat to Uniti range?

I don’t believe such a thing exists, whatever it is supposed to be. The nCore at least did not sound good with NAD’s own fitting pre, what can I say. Literally all other power amps in the audition were better (Moon, Cambridge, and some I forgot), and all NAPs were in a different league. All with the C658. You could argue that the nCore was so transparent that it showed up things that other amps covered up, but who cares :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dunno, i haven’t heard either myself (ncore or purifi)! :wink:

All the reviews i’ve seen or read so far seem to mention this though, there is a nice one on Youtube by SoundStageNetwork. Jay who does the video has also owned Naim gear himself.

You say this, but then the review says:

Which makes no sense, by the way. In one sentence they say that it does not matter, the next sentence they say it matters a great deal.

They mean it’s the preamp that determines the sound, those are the preamps they tested with.

I get it, which is why it makes no sense to write that it does not matter what you put in front of it.

I don’t even believe there is a way to reliably find out, whatever the reviewers think. I am sure it measures well …

In the end, there are too many variables as always and all I can do is listen to a reasonable selection, and it ended as it did.

When you got your amp i don’t think Purifi was really available yet, only Ncore… but apart from that you can’t go wrong with a 300DR ofcourse, so i’m sure you made the right choice. :wink:

I think so regarding the Purifi, yes. Now I don’t think I will ever hear it :slight_smile:

I may have mentioned it before, in the first part of the audition I liked the 250 best among all the amps but did not want to pay the price. Then I thought I’d listen to the 300 just so I know, and bought it on the spot …
The idea being that a 272-2 plus PS would make a nice 4-box with the 300. You know the end :slight_smile:

Please don’t go back there anytime soon to listen to a 500DR, i’m not sure you will be able to control yourself :innocent:

1 Like

You didn’t want to pay the price of a 250, so bought a 300 on the spot……… :flushed::flushed:

I am quite safe because it is too high! Getting the rack just right was such a hassle and I am so satisfied. A 500 would mean that the pre is very close to the TT or the TT has to go higher - no way as it is just perfect now. A 552 on the other hand …

No, but seriously, the system has made me smile every day since November, such a difference to previous, modest upgrades that were nice for a week or two until it became the same old. Now with the new SuperLine too, everything feels just right and I don’t see another box upgrade any time soon. Speakers are the next stop of course, which I know will break the bank again.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

2 Likes

Yes, because the 250 was nice but left question marks whether I wanted to go there, spending and all. (It was three times the price of the pre that I had). The 300 changed where I wanted to go … and I did within the next few months. (I got a really nice deal too, I must say)

1 Like

I think the Uniti range look far better personally, just wish the display had better functionality as some old promo shots suggested.

To be honest I’d happily lose the Nova’s display if it could be sold at a cheaper price point as I rarely look at it. To clarify that, very often when I use the Nova I’m facing 90 or 180 degrees from the display so don’t need it, especially when controlling via iOS device/Audirvana/Roon or Airplay. It’s a nice display but little chance of reading anything on it from 15-20 feet, even if glasses might help my myopia I don’t wear them when listening to music.

6 Likes

It was an NAD M33 and a VTV class-D amp with a Schiit tube pre.

It’s not in the same league as my SN3 in either implementation. But it’s definitely better than anything but the best Hypex N-Core I’ve heard. Neither were quite as good as my old Benchmark AHB2.

The Purifi modules are definitely the best class-D implementation yet. But they are far from perfect.

EDIT: I’ll add that downward detail and tone colors are where even Purifi Eigentakt and Hypex N-Core fall short.

I’d take a Uniti Atom over an M33. But that’s me.

A power amp is supposed to be neutral, otherwise you are using it as a tone control and that’s never a good thing. What you describe sounds like you perhaps didn’t like the preamp of the M33, which is where the colour is determined.

However since you also got rid of the AHB2, which is also just a very linear class A/B amplifier, it does make me wonder if you perhaps simply don’t enjoy the natural sound of your speakers, and are compensating that by using a more ‘colored’ amplifier / preamp.

2 Likes

What the Purifi added over the Atom in my case, is a tight grip on my speakers and much more low level detail. I do agree that the Atom sounds smooth with a very nice flow. The Purifi can sound too clean an clinical, but in my experience pairing with a Naim preamp it works really well (provided the right cables as a finishing touch).

My hypex UCD 180 sounds good with the Atom. very crisp, neutral, and lots of grip. I would definitely hook it up if we had a house party! The Atom alone though, just has a smoothness and a flow, as you say, that I cannot give up. It is close, and the untrained ear would not be able to tell much difference until you wind the volume right up. For me, with my class D hypex, the small difference is a kind of sheen over the music and you don’t really notice it until you take it away.

2 Likes

A lot could be done to improve Uniti’s display. Starting from better font selection and its sizes. I think if Uniti’s screen would be better utilised, it could be as good as the one Evo has in terms of visuals presentation.
I on the other hand like using the screen but often I cant as the fonts are ridiculsly small or the screen displays full sized artwork (or lack of it).

2 Likes

Of course, it’s just a display. Everything else is software

1 Like

The full size album art really baffles me, why no textual information at all? There is plenty of space.

When listening to internet radio the same image is shown on the Uniti display all the time, while the app for instance does show both the art and the actual track playing. Which is what you’d want on the physical display too ofcourse.

Useful:

Useless:

2 Likes