Came across this!

I came across ‘this price list’ this morning, Lord how I wish these prices were still current, who would you invite into your front room first to play a set?

11 Likes

Deep Purple😄 according to the bank of England inflation calculator that’s only £2104 in today’s money

1 Like

I knew somebody would do that check! And I think still quite a bargain! Although I think the reality might be quite different?

1 Like

It’s an amazing bargain😉

1 Like

£250 for Pink Floyd, I guess LSD was much cheaper then. :grin:

6 Likes

I guess you’re right Pete, as someone who barely remembers the 70’s, but know I must have enjoyed them, £250 for the Floyd plus a bit for the ‘extras’ would still be a bargain!

2 Likes

I’d give you a like but I’ve none left. :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Haha, isn’t life wonderful Pete! I’ll take that, thanks young man!

In relative terms the prices reflect the bands’ commercial success at the time - e.g. Deep Purple were in Mk 1 lineup. Pink Floyd at £4k in today’s money were ‘bigger’, that being post the Saucerful of secrets album, while the most expensive in that list at £8k in today’s money was Fleetwood Mac, still with Peter Green and shortly after the Albatros single.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s a really interesting appraisal, think I’d better get on the phone to the agent before the cost goes up, lol!

I wonder what the going rates are today for bands that are known but not get at the top. Might very well be similar in real terms. But the biggest acts have gone way over the top since stadium/arena size gigs became the norm for them - and personally I dislike such huge venues, where you need binoculars to see the band, or otherwise watch on a distant TV screen!

2 Likes

Pink Floyd at £250 were obviously a bit of a bargain back then.

1 Like

A few years ago you could book Ian McNabb to play in your front room. Can’t remember the price but it wasn’t out of order.

1 Like

That looks more like a present day list of ticket prices!
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes I agree with your comments on large stadia!

Agree with that lol.

Looking at the date, I’m guessing this for the college’s Summer Ball; I wonder who they ending up booking?

I was looking at The Nice for £350 - but I don’t think Keith would have got all of his kit into my living room…

1 Like

I know a lot of smaller bands are really struggling & will do whatever gig they can get. I heard that Francis Dunnery would do a night for £600 recently & Ezio was happy to talk about a personal concert for similar.
If its someones special occasion & their fav band could be a great present?

1 Like

Always worth a try my friend, always worth a try, the only other item you would need in there would be a settee, otherwise known as the ‘front row’

A bargain, based on those figures I’m going to get in touch with Mr Gilmour lol.