Camera DLSR, has anyone switched to mirrorless?

I am reading some good things about the new Canon Mirrorless EOS R.

I use my trusty Canon 5D which produces some great results bu am wondering whether its time to switch, has anyone made the change yet?

We meet again…
I moved to the Olympus OMD - EM1 when it came out, camera bag got very much lighter, image quality improved, able to have a good focal length range in a small bag.

The Oly has very good low light sensitivity and excellent image stabilisation.

2 Likes

I guess if you’re an existing Canon user, there’s some logic to switching to a Canon mirrorless, though I’m not sure how good the existing lenses will work via the adapter. I’d suggest that of the current crop of mirrorless cameras, the Sony and Nikon designs seem to be more compelling? The video on the Canon suffers from a severe crop, not an issue if you don’t use it for video.

To answer your Q though, current Nikon D750 user, considering the switch to Nikon mirrorless…

1 Like

I know, we don’t speak for years and then twice on the same day…

I guess you are very pleased with the Olympus, can I ask], what drew you towards the Olympus?

Sticking with Canon appeals as I have a number of high quality lenses and being able to use the adaptor seems to make sense.

1 Like

A friend and pro photographer bought a Fuji mirrorless as a second body and now uses it for all her locations shoots with the 5D used solely for studio work. Based on her recommendation I checked out the Fuji X-T1. Sold my Nikon DSLR the following week, and haven’t looked back. Light form factor, very user friendly for those coming from a traditional 35mm manual body, great lenses and great image quality.

3 Likes

Good image quality, low weight and size. A range of lenses to choose from that exceeded my needs. In full frame terms I have the equivalent of 14 to 28, 24 to 200, 24 to 80, 80 to over 400 mm, plus a 150 to 600mm lens, my normal set is the 24 to 200 and the 80 to 400 lens, but at half the weight or so compared to the full frame camera.

Plus the body has some neat features 5 stop image stabilisation, storing of 16 or so pictures before I finally press the shutter release - so I can capture the hammer hitting the object - plus the bit before and after.
The only problem is the person pressing the shutter!

2 Likes

Just got a Canon EOS R a couple of weeks ago!

Upgrade from a 500D - been thinking for a while I could improve, and liked the idea of going back to full frame, but nothing ‘right’ had tempted me: I know someone with a 1DX and 5DMk3, and I know how much better their sensors and software are. However, not only were they too pricey, but far too big and heavy for non-pro use. At Christmas I was updating myself on what had come out in the past year or two, wondering if there was anything worth upgrading to as I have a significant trip coming up soon, hopefully very photogenic - and came across the R. It seemed spot on.

My lenses (all Canon) were EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO and EF/S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5. I bought the R version of the 24-105 to keep it from becoming too bulky as my ‘standard lens’. I have the adaptor to EF, so can use the other lenses, although as the 10-22 is not full frame I don’t anticipate using it, instead I’ve bought a secondhand Sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6 EF fit. The only problem is the adaptor makes it quite bulky, but it’ll do for now.

Now I have to get used to my lenses being ‘wider’ like they were before I switched to digital!

1 Like

Just traded in some inherited camera gear (Hasselblad SWC and Rolleiflex) and my Nikon D810, and briefly considered the new Nikon Z7 mirrorless, however in the end upgraded to new D850 DSLR.

I’ve tried the new Z7 with the new 14-30mm when I visited the London Nikon School last month - it’s a very nice camera (and probably more future proof than the D850), and can also take the conventional Nikon lenses, however the deal on the D850 was too good to ignore (extra Nikon deal of £450 if trading in existing DSLR). Also as the Z7 is Nikon’s first real mirrorless (along with the Z6) camera, I’d like to see them develop the technology a bit more (maybe second generation?). I think the Z7 also has the edge for videography (not of interest to me). The D850 and the Z7 share the same 46MP sensor apparently, however the Z7 is quite a bit smaller than the Z7.

If I want to take a lightweight camera with me, I also have a Fuji X-100F, which has a fixed 23mm·F2 single focal length lens, and is a very different camera, but excellent for travel and street photography.

Whatever you choose, don’t forget to have fun with your photography and enjoy getting out there and just taking photos!

ATB. George.

3 Likes

And my son has just bought the M50 - and in terms of size and weight I’m jealous! R is better, but he will carry his camera when I decide to leave mine and travel light with a little Olympus TG4…

Been using Fuji some years now.

Honestly, I think my pics with 5Diii are technically better. But I barely use it. X-T3 is much nicer to use and easier to cart about. It was a leap ahead of the 2, which in itself was a big g improvement beyond the X-T1.

I really like the fact that over and above generational improvements (new sensors, AF systems etc.) on new models, Fuji issue firmware updates which make fundamental and sometimes substantial improvements to the existing camera, rather than issuing sub models. They’ve also just asked users what they’d like in next update!

That said some of my faves are with little Ricoh GR.

DSLR still best for sports and quick, flappy things.

For general photography though, X-T3 is excellent 99% of time.

4 Likes

My TG-4 is great, because it is small and light and go-anywhere: City breaks, hillwalking, skiing, snorkelling, diving (admitedly I use a supplementary case underwater, not relying on the camera’s own seals as failure would be dire). DSLR only when I specificalky want to try to get the best pics I can ((not that the 500D ever got close to the best with film) - I’ll see what R can achieve…

1 Like

My Canon 5D and associated lenses can be quite bulky, I normally carry three lenses. My 24-105l, 24-70L and 70-200L. I have a shoulder bad which can weigh up to 10 kg which can drain you after a long day out.

One of the reasons for looking at changing is to cut down on the amount I have to takeout when we go out for the day.

The 5D can taker great shots though :blush:

Tend to travel with either just the 10-24 (15-36 equiv.) or the 16-55 (24-83) on the X-T3. I may also take the tiny 35 as a fast 2nd lens but usually travel with just the one multi purpose zoom.

My nature pix are often with the 100-400 (600 equiv., 840mm with the little 1.4x extender!) 50-140 is excellent, like Canon 70-200, one of my most used lenses if not keeping weight numbers down.

Might I suggest a visit to the photography show next month? I believe it gets busy, but you can get a feel for mirrorless. Then go to your shop of choice for a proper go.

That’s what I was thinking Jamie, a visit to the camera show to do a bit of research, followed by a trip to my local camera store.

I guess most camera stores won’t carry the Canon EOS Rin stock as everything is internet based now.

I haven’t used the R much yet, other than initially checking out. Next step is to get total familiarity with everything.

One thing I particularly like is that the electronic viewfinder, though initially seeming much like the standard SLR pentaprism, gives a bright view even when the scene is dark, making composing and assessment of the image easy even in very poor light. It can also show the image after the shot, so you can check without taking your aye from the viewfinder.

Another useful thing in some circumstances is a totally silent mode, which when combined with a tilt and rotate rear screen opens tge potential for surrepticious sheeting, e.g. with camera held apparently casually by your side.

I’ll second that. I have a couple of Fuji mirrorless cameras (XE1 and XT2) and I find both excellent (I had 3 Nikon SLRs before). Light, user-friendly, sharp lenses - I never regretted switching to Fuji.

I am a long term SLR & DLSR user, mostly Canon but also some Niikon and recently bought a used Fuji X-T2 and a couple of lenses. Coming from a DSLR the X-T2 looks good, has a really great sensor and some fantastic lenses but rather questionable ergonomics.
The biggest issue is if like me you use back button focusing, not only are the AE-L & AF-L/AF-ON buttons badly placed but they are way too small and have very little travel and wearing even thin gloves renders them completely unusable. Likewise the front and rear command dials are also too small and spongy. The menu system is less than ideal too with some rather frustrating, err, features.
I am sure the X-H1 addresses some of the button issues but the X-H2 is expected to be announced soonish so buying one now is less than wise.
So if you are thinking of buying an X-T2, try before you buy.

Mike

I was initially forced to change from my Canon 5D Mk II because when I developed rheumatoid arthritis it was just too big and heavy to cart around. So I flogged the Canon and my large collection of lenses, and also went for a Fuji XT-1. It’s a great little camera, with some really excellent lenses. Being weatherproof’s pretty handy too, and personally I prefer the ergonomics to the Canon.

I’ve stuck with the XT-1 (although I confess I’ve been tempted to upgrade of course) because my main go-to camera’s now a Leica Q1, which I love to bits. For waterproof use I use an Olympus TG-4, which I’m also delighted with. On a recent holiday to Egypt I just took the Olympus, rather than drag the other stuff along, and I was very happy with the results.

1 Like