Camera DLSR, has anyone switched to mirrorless?

Q2 out soon Tony…:wink:

1 Like

I do like the reduced size and weight of the Nikon X-7, but, for me, it’s simply not as comfortable to hold, and doesn’t sit well ‘in hand’ compared to my D750 and D500. I never use video, the speed and focus, particularly of the D500, are all I can imagine ever wanting or needing.

Bottom line, mirrorless offers very little of practical benefit to make me want to take the financial hit of switching. If I were a newcomer buying my first decent camera it might be different (although my arthritis would have to get a lot worse before the weight advantage overcame the holding comfort factor).

2 Likes

My choice of EOS-R was through having lenses I could use on it - had I been starting out I may well have gone for a different brand. And my son’s choice of the minuscule EOS-M50 was because he can use my lenses, for flexibility when we’re out together, and also for better image qyaluty than the M lenses, so initially has just got himself the kit lens. I had no opportunity to try before buying, though I could have returned it (at my cost).

And you’re right, they do eat batteries, but hooefully less so ince familiar with it and fiddling/ searching menus less!

Can I ask if you are happy with the picture quality’ and whether it’s similar to older Canons in the way it works?

It’s taken a while but I know how the Canons work and continuity is important to me.

Me,last year.It is one year now with my Sony 7RM III and I must say I’m very happy with it.I personally don’t miss the optical viewfinder.The electronic one that I have(Quad-VGA OLED) does a great job.Compactness and a lighter weight vs an DSLR are good features even if the 24-105 G OSS zoom that I purchased with the 7 body is 1462 gr.I previously had an Sony a450 aps-c sensor.The reason why I jumped into Sony is because I had different Minolta cameras in the past and I still have a lot of Minolta lenses that feat Sony.

Not having anything else with which to compare and with limited photos yet! all I can say with absolute certainty about picture quality is that it’s better than my 10 year old D500 - but then I would be shocked if it wasn’t! I understand it’s essentially the same sensor as 5D Mk iv, while the processor is Digic 8 as opposed to 6+. Many specs identical, as expected given the sensor, so no reason to think it will be any worse for image quality.

If I get a chance to meet up with my friend who has a 5Mkii and 1DX we may try some comparative shots, but that may not be for a while.

As for controls and ergonomics, mostly an easy transition for me, though from time to time I find myself hitting wrong buttons and then trying to undo things, most often changing aperture when I want to change ISO - but I’m sure I’ll get used to it, and it probably doesn’t help that I keep changing modes while I find my way around, I find it very comfortable in the hand - but a Pro used to 1DX and maybe even 5D might dismiss it as a bit of a toy being so compact and lightweight.

I’m sure I saw at least one comparative review against 5D Mk iv when I was researching it.

1 Like

Looking lately at quite a few drivers in front of me I could have sworn that they had switched to driving mirrorless cars…

The Nikon D810 is here to stay alongside the older classic D700 with its superb skin tones. An interesting substantial weight loss issue are the new Nikkor Pf (300mm & 500mm) telephoto lenses.

nk50056e

1 Like

I went from Canon 40D to Olympus OMD EM5, then subsequently upgraded to EM1 and now EM1 mark II. Reasons for going m4-3: much smaller and lighter lenses, superb Olympus image quality. I like the electronic viewfinder and live view. I carry camera kit with me more often than I did with the heavier Canon kit, so the change was worthwhile. For my purposes, I am happy with the images - the weakest link is the photographer!

1 Like

Not yet but may well trade in my 5d4 or 7d2 for a mirrorless in the next year or so. If I hadn’t had traded up to the 5d4 from my 5d3 I think it would have been sooner. However, besided weight I cannot see any benefit to going mirrorless at the moment, in fact as a nature photographer, I think dSLRs will hold the upper hand for a few years yet, so I may end up having mirrorless and dSLRs together for a while yet, using the mirrorless for landscapes and dSLR for animals and insects. Macro could be either.

+1
G

1 Like

In what way do you think DSLR might be better than mirrorless for nature photography? They may well have the same photographic performance (depending on exact model), but the electronic viewfinder lets you see better in low light, and in the case of the R there is a totally silent function, which is just that, completely silent, with obvious benefit for some wildlife photos. A possibility, though I do not know for sure, is that in silent mode, with the mechanical sutter permanently open, the delay between hitting the button and the image being captured may very well be less.

On the Oly if the finger is feathering the shutter release and then the release pressed at the perceived correct time may pictures will be stored of the action before the shutter release is pressed fully.

I keep an eye on the developments. And I am waiting for the big sensor mirrorlesss of Canon to come out and exchange with my Canon 5d Mark 2. The new lenses look like attractive as well…, so let’s see how long it takes before the real big gun comes…

I thought the EOS R was the 5D standard mirrorless version, have I missed something?

Yes, from the Canon website, the R has a full frame sensor (as does the 5D Mkiv). I don’t think I’d upgrade my 5D mkiii for it though - too expensive and not quite as flexible (and I’m used to mine now, old dogs and all that).

I dont think the R has enough of a benefit to drop the 5Div for it - but it may be a serious challenger for anyone with a lesser camera - maybe even an earlier 5D, though I haven’t looked into at all.

Here is a link to a comparison between R and 5Div:

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/canon-eos-r-vs-5d-mark-iv/

The R is Canon’s first full frame mirrorless! I’m sure other models will follow, as they now need to expand the RF lens range, and a more commitment with more bodies will help. (You can use EF with the adaptor, with no loss of quality, but the mirrorless with mount allows a more compact version.)

I got a Leica Q a couple of years ago and have never looked back since. I thought the fixed lens would be limiting and 28mm challenging but it’s proved to be a real gem. Perfection.

2 Likes

Thanks, IB, that’s an interesting comparison. I wasn’t aware of the autofocus advantages so I might just add this to my Christmas list (behind the 555DR, 300DR…)

For everybody their are some rumors around Canon for a 75 megapixel mirrorless, so I am awaiting that one…