Camping Stoves?

Yep, we have one of those as well. Good for a weekend away. Doesn’t have the pocket rocket performance but fine for the purpose if you always remove the cylinder when in the car.

Derek

Very nice! Special gas cartridge but the specifications are good. Propane & butane mix. Primus have always made quality kit.

1 Like

Yes, we shifted to propane when we started to camp in Cornwall sometimes on exposed sites. But a convenient and reliable brand.

1 Like

That was many years ago, and I did work in a laboratory where we handled a variety of pressurised gases and had to connect all sorts of things on a daily basis. I would certainly caution against DIY unless you really do know what you’re doing, even if as a non-fixed installation it is not covered by gas installation regulations.

I would also most strongly caution against using any gas cooker inside a tent - ONLY use in a well ventilated area, such as a flysheet extension or outer tent, with at least one open opening. Aside from the possibility of a gas leak, in use they may produce carbon monoxide.

2 Likes

Wise words. I’m horrified at what some people do. Twelve years ago some teens lit a fire inside a Bridgnorth cave as they were cold bringing the roof down and killing a 16 year old. You clearly have the necessary experience.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, very useful info and as mentioned, I’m very much leaning towards the Camp Chef Explorer - I’ve seen a couple online around the £150 mark.

Rest assured, I’ll be very careful with regard to cooking inside - I spend a lot of time in the hills/mountains and well versed when it comes to the dangers of cooking within enclosed spaces.

1 Like

Have you though about the size of it? It looks huge and the gas cylinder. Just looks a bit ott family cooking stove to me. When I’m packing the car, I’m amazed at the amount of space needed for tent, seats, cooler, …etc I was relieved when I found the best seats, so it would give me more space.

I have @Count.d - I’ve been taking my better half camping in the four season mountain tent for several years and a couple of years back, refused to come camping ever again…

Consequently, we’ve ended up with the following…

I’ve also lost the motorbike and now have a VW Passett Estate - life has changed!

4 Likes

Fit for a Beduin Tribal Chief…and Queen, of course.

2 Likes

Do you do weddings?

2 Likes

Really don’t under estimate this advice!

It’s amazing how wind will easily blow away all your burner heat and your food will have serious hard time to just warm up on a bad day.

I’m using Primus Profile Propane 2 Burner Camping Stove when car camping. I wont claim it’s the best but it’s doing the job. The wife is way much more happier after 25 years of Coleman liquid nafta pumping. :wink:

1 Like

I’m all gas now myself. I’m happy with Coleman gas rather than liquid!

We had one these jet boil genesis stoves. Was awesome until someone decided to nick it whilst we were hiking.

3 Likes

My favourite.
Perfect for fast a light ascents.

weighs only 340g

2 Likes

That looks interesting - presumably folding clamshell-like? What is it?

That’s what I’m considering to throw in the back of the landrover.

It’s the Jet Boil Genesis dual foldable stove

1 Like

Quite remarkable how quickly it boils water this one!

Yes, indeed, it saves gas and allows to take only one or two small cartridges.

It is essential.

Less weight means more speed, less fatigue and therefore more safety.

If there is a chance that an outing goes wrong, for whatever reason, I always have a stove with me.

Stove = heat and water.

A friend lost fingers and toes last autumn on the N face of the Matterhorn.

Bad weather, night in the Solvay hut at 4003m, little survival gear… disaster :pensive:

So sorry to hear about your friends misfortune. Really is testament to how quickly circumstances can change out in the wild. In as much as the risk increases, so does ones capacity to truly feel alive…that said, mistakes at this level, however small, can have significant impact.

1 Like