Can a power cord on a turntable make a difference?

Have you noticed Vertere have a new mid-price range out, the Redline? I have Redline RCA phono cable between my TMS and my Phono-1, works really well. (I got a pre-announcement cable as I was in the factory, it’s released now.) They don’t have a BNC option, so I don’t have it from the Phono-1 to the 52. There is a Redline mains lead as well, I’m thinking about adding that to the SG-1 PSU.

Thank you Eoink. The new Redline looks like the replacement for the Pulse B range.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

TBH it was all by chance. A certain well renowned HiFi dealer had a Sarum PL available for demo and I tried it on the Roksan PSU. It’s stayed with the Vertere PSU.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

Manticore recommended using silver plated stranded cable as an alternative to the standard unplated mains cable, for the MB6 PSU. They stated this improved sound quality, but using silver plated stranded cable between PSU and turntable motor had no effect on sound quality.

I wasted a lot of time trying to source silver plated stranded cable, came to conclusion that it doesn’t actually exist.:sob:

The late, great Bob Crump, proprietor of TG Audio, which produced AC cables, power conditioners, and interconnects, used to use his turntable to voice his power cords. I believe he used a Rockport turntable and speakers and his own pre-amp and a power amp by John Curl.

i tried the powerline on the rega rp10 psu once. I found there was a bit more details but also a thinner sound. I didn’t like it too much.

1 Like

Thats interesting, on my P9 it is quite the opposite: the sound is fuller, bigger, more authoritive with a better power cord.

but this better power cord is not a powerline ? it is ?

No, it was built by my dealer with parts from ATL new cable studio. Very pure copper stuff. On my Naim boxes I prefer Powerlines, so I had a spare cable to play with

1 Like

I tried a PL on a Radikal - no improvement.

My turntable came without a power cable but I had a spare powerline lite so used that initially and plugged it in at the end of the block. When I moved the Core from the Fraim to the spare room I swapped the Lite back onto that and put the full powerline on the TTPS to some benefit. On his return visit to check how my ND555 was settling in my dealer Simon suggested trying the turntable in the first socket on the block saying he found the sense of scale expanded considerably. He was right but displacing the ND555 from pride of place seemed to degrade the coherence of the system, moving the TTPS to second restored the coherence and kept the scale so there it stays.

An analog signal comprises voltages at frequencies from 20Hz to 20KHz and above. Anything you remove by way of filtering in that frequency band is most likely a part of the music and you can’t differentiate analog music signal from analog noise signal within the same frequency band.

Mains is entirely different, comprising 50Hz or 60Hz AC only, while anything else… for example harmonics of the 50/60Hz and any HF RFI can be filtered with no loss of musical signal. So filtering mains is not akin to filtering analog sources.

Regarding your power cord following house mains cabling, if your house mains is picking up noise and your last 6’ of mains cable is blocking/removing that noise, you’re very likely to improve the sound. What a mains cable can’t do is to remove distortions to the 50/60Hz sine wave. To do that requires something like a PS Audio AC regenerator.

As regards studios, it very much depends on the studio. Some use a lot of fancy cables, while other don’t and may even coil microphone leads because they know no better. Its not a matter a efficacy, rather a question of knowledge.

1 Like

Try using the search term ‘Silver Plated Litz cable’…

Except in the US, they just used an off-the-shelf Wattgate male connector.

I Wish they used Oyaide rhodium plated plug instead.

Yes, Kuma, sadly for the US & Continental Europe you only got the one improved connector (the IEC) rather than two, but it still made a big difference.

Hi Kuma, if that’s your Powerline, may I suggest trying some Chord Ohmic transmission fluid. You may find it helps.

:small_blue_diamond:@kuma,…Like these Oyaide,.pictured below.

These are Oyaide’s best and second-best contacts.
Oyaide M1 and Oyaide 004,.the third on the picture,is from Acrolink.
All of these and some more,.are included in the test we are conducting.

We have the same quality cable for all powercords…Jorma Design Duality.
It’s just the connectors that are different.
A very interesting test.

I can already say,.that of course it is a difference.
Then some can say what they want,.if they had been involved in this test…they had definitely heard the same difference as we.
If not,.well then they must be hearing-impaired :wink:.

:small_orange_diamond:As Richard.Dane also says…

Continuation follows…

/Peder🙂

1 Like

I was not about put those fancy connectors on my Powerline for comparison but I did try a $$$ Bybee power cord with Acrolink IEC on a 500.

Even with a less good connector, I preferred the Powerline over this cable. So I suppose cables do matter, too.

I recall some folks were miffed that they were getting only a half of goodness at the same cost. But isn’t the UK version has a some sort of filter inside ( which can restrict dynamics ) where US socket does not have so maybe off set the short coming?

Dave,
it sure does look a bit dodgy, innit? It might have been a demo Powerline.

II will check out the Chord Ohmic. Is it better than a Kontak?