Can I Get the Naim App to Play Hirez Tidal If I Plug a Bluesound Node 2 Into It?

I recently realized that my Superuniti has been playing only MP3 quality Tidal files thru the Naim App due to limitations in the App. Would Hirez files thru a Node 2 to the SU allow the App to play hirez, or am I just being a git, even suggesting this.

Qobuz is not available in Canada, and because of the ridiculous CRTC and their bull***t Canadian content, it probably never will be. To achieve a 30% Can content, they’d have to restrict the total track list to about 2 million tracks. There’s only so many Canadian songs, and really, only a few hundred good ones. Although, I am a little particular.

Anyway, If anyone knows a way to make the Naim App play Hirez Tidal files I’d appreciate any help.
Thanks.
Cheers.

Dave

ummm ya might want to check what you have Tidal set to ( using the Naim app )

1 Like

Is your Tidal account a so-called ‘Premium’ account? If so, you will only get lossy MP3s on any device. If you have a ‘HiFi’ account you get 16/44 CD quality on a Superuniti, but not MQA, as the SU doesn’t support it.
As the guys above have mentioned, you should check the Tidal input settings are on HiFi, not Premium.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your replies guys, sorry it took so long to answer. Things are a bit weird lately with the whole shut-in situation. Anyway, I checked all the app settings that you all suggested, and with them set to hifi, I guess its playing correctly thru the Naim App.
If I’m streaming a track or an album from my collection, it says it’s 44.1 and around 700 mbps. I guess that means 16/44.1.
It sounds good, but it doesn’t have the air around the instruments and the defined sound stage and tight bass that the exact same track/recording on a CD has when played on my Linn Unidisk 1.1. Maybe that’s not going to happen until I upgrade to an NDX2 with a SN2 amplifying it.
But anyway, thanks again, and I’ll just stick with the Tidal /SU for streaming for now.
Cheers.

Dave

You may never get the files to sound as good as a cd player.
So many things to look at and it all starts with what you used to rip your CDs to how much noise is on your local network etc … lots has been discussed on the forum about this.
When CDs first came out the thought was all CD players sounded the same, it’s just “1’s” and “0’s” and it took a long time for some to realize there was more at play… all that was learned as far back as 1982 can be applied to streaming ( local files and services )
Enjoy the hornets nest and the journey

1 Like

Thanks for the input HiFi. I can see what you mean regarding CD sound versus, really, any other digital format.
As I went up the ranks, improving my CD player as I could afford it; the improvement in the sound of my CDs was so very noticable, and enjoyable. I always used my wife’s ears (well, all of her, really) to make absolutely sure that I wasn’t just hearing what I wanted to hear, which is always an issue.

I now, have a Linn Unidisk 1.1 with an upgraded Dynamik power supply, and I have yet to hear anything else that comes even close. I know for sure, that many of the members with excellent TTs, Carts and phono stages are hearing their music at as good, or most likely an even better level of SQ, but streaming seems to be more of a convenience-motivated pursuit; which I totally get btw.
I love the way the Naim App lets me easily choose a few nice classical pieces to play while I’m working on a project during the day. And easily adjust the volume if it gets to lively or distracting.

So, I’d really like the Naim App to play music at a high-end hifi level, cuz its so darn convenient. But I believe you’re correct … there will most likely always be a reason to have a good CDP.

Dave

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.