Can I use the 272 as a preamp for the NDS

272/555PSDR/250DR. The NDS is a remarkable streamer and I wondered about a NDS/555PSDR/SN3 setup but wasn’t sure it’s possible.if you have a QNAP the apps I mentioned above aren’t too hard to do. When I have some time I can post some instructions or post a thread that outlines the steps.

Oh wow. Alright you gave me inspiration. I will for sure give it a shot.

Would you put both 555ps dr on the nds or one on the nds and one on the 272? How do control your volume? Digitally? Do you lose SQ?

[quote=“joasop, post:1, topic:22624”]
250.2 for the Atom

Hahaha … this bit is right … :slight_smile:

@joasop . Like @cdboy said in the 9th post, the NDS will sound great for now thru the 272, and just change it for a preamp later.
Tidal, iradio, and local streaming sound excellent thru an NDS, so you’re all set for now. If Qobuz become a must, you can always add a pre-owned ND5 XS2 to the NDS and still be great value for the SQ level.

Hi david1111. Qobuz is not available in Canada so not a must at all. Totally will try the 272 as a preamp and yeah totally understand that there is quite a bit of redundancy. Thanks!

I am also in Canada, so the NDS works great for me as well.
You’ll love it …

What @seakayaker and @Richard.Dane are saying here makes sense.

I would get a 282 and HiCap and have that with the NDS and 2 x 555PS and the 250.

A 272 is illogical as you have a preamp and streamer combined and an NDS.

Alternatively get an 82 with HiCap.

I would then sell the 272 and any other kit you have, possibly sell one of the 555PSs if funds are tight after buying the 282 and HiCap.

If you go 272, 555PS, NDS, 555PS with 250 it won’t sound nearly as good as suggested system above.

Up to you, but hope this is clear.

As others have said the 272 isn’t a good fit in the system and a dedicated pre-amp would be better.

The NDS is a formidable source, even with ‘only’ one PSU. I would suggest that you consider selling one of the 555’s along with the 272 which will fund a pre-amp. You could go 282/HiCap DR, 282/Supercap DR or even 252/Supercap DR.

4 Likes

I you use the Nds with 2 X 555 ps, with 272 alone, you will have a monkfish system, because the 272 without ps is quite similar to a 202 preamp.
Before having a dedicated pre, you should really listen to the advices above : Nds with 1 x 555 ps and 272 with 1 X 555 ps.
Those having an Nds with 2 555 ps are generally having a 552 /500 as electronics.

2 Likes

As a cost efficient alternative solution, why not trying a Townshend Allegri+ as a preamp?

Hey Dan_M thanks so much for the advice. Yeah the only reason why I have the 272 was cause it was going to match with the 250DR. But the deal of the NDS and the 555PS was a package. So I was thinking since I had all these pieces I can make a system with what I have.

I will look to sell the 272 to get a dedicated pre for sure. Who knows maybe next post might just talk about it.

1 Like

Hi trickydickie, yeah I agree but at least to get things going I have a preamp to try things out. I like the 252 super cap solution. Now it’s a matter of raising the funds.

2 Likes

Hi Bigboy, I saw that in the forums but was wondering how that works and if it sounds good.

Hi frenchrooster, ok I will try that and thanks for the advice and knowledge. I was going to put a powerline on the 272.

1 Like

I’d get the kit you’ve ordered, connect it all up and get to know it for a bit before rushing to the next step.
Yes, a proper pre-amp is the way to eventually go but you’ve got plenty of time to get there.

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Hi james_n, yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking. After doing a bunch of reading on top of the comments on the situation, I would like to end up with a 252 and a supercap. It seems like the way to go with the legacy system. I would love to go 500 system all the way but I think I just need to like you said get it all hooked up first and enjoy what I have.

1 Like

Lol Crazy River. Not sure what this all means.

Are you sure you know what you want at all? You may well find that you would be blown away by a 202/200 compared to what you have now, or perhaps nothing short of a full 500 system will really satisfy you. You need to let your ears guide you.

You may also find that the old 1st generation streamers you have ordered don’t meet your expectations. They were designed a long time ago and investing in something more current may be a better choice for you.

1 Like

Hi ChrisSU, I know that I like the Naim sound from the Nova and Atom. I am hoping that it will be a step up with all this hardware I am getting. I am very grateful to be able to try it all out. In the end something good will come out especially since the foundation of all of the hardware is great. And at the least I will have tried things out. It is only through trial and error will I learn.

I really wanted to like the Allegri but it just didn’t cut it for me. I was hoping to lose the clutter of my 3-box Naim 282, but I just couldn’t get my system to sound right.