Can the ND555 connect directly to the NAP-500DR?

The same here, and Chord refers to Dave as a “digital preamp”…

That’s where I went to check upon reading your previous post, and could find nothing recommending or even hinting that Dave is best connected though one of their DACs… Just double-checked and still can’t see anything, though on the Dave info given under ‘‘reference series’ page linked from the preamp page it says this: “The device’s lossless digital volume control outputs the signal direct to your power amplifier for the purest experience.”.

Of course, as has been mentioned on, I think, the Is the pre-amp a thing of the past? thread amongst others, in a Naim system the preamp may be the key to the ‘Naim sound’, and without it you lose it.

This has moved on a bit from the ND555 - however the same consideration might apply if the ND555 is sufficient an electrical match to NAP500 to drive it effectively, in that the absence of a NAC may mean the absence of the ‘Naim sound’. But as someone said earlier, assuming the OP has access to a dealer to audition, he/she can try with and without.

Well when i look at their Ultima preamp on their website…its a £30k preamp…it says perfect with a number of their products like Dave and Blu2. I expect my hifi dealer and manufacturer to be honest. If i do not need a £30 k preamp, do not mention them together on the same web page. Thats all.

Yes, just as Dave page says perfect with some of their power amps… Taking what else they say into account, i take that as meaning that by being completely transparent and neutral the Ultima is as good a quality as Dave and so would be a perfect match with Dave if you need to combine Dave with analogue sources, or if the want the frequency EQ adjust controls that the Ultima also offers.

Naim products pages also suggest upgrades you don’t need. For example, suggesting a $15K 555PS as power supply upgrade, plus SuperLumina and Powerline for another $5K or so, for my $7500 NDX2.

Yes it’s the only way.

1 Like

Chord makes a pre-amp in a case that matches Blu2, DAVE and Etude. I asked about it and was told it was useful if I wanted to use analogue inputs such as the matching phono pre-amp. DAVE direct into Etude was the recommendation for me as I have no analogue sources.

When I auditioned The Etude I did so with and without Chord’s statement pre-amp. With its tone controls defeated I couldn’t hear any difference. The tone controls are exceptionally good, but at £30k I decided I live without them. At home I tried a Linn KK pre, but decided i could not hear any benefit.

So my Chord system is a 3 box - transport, DAC, power amp arrangement.

I understand with Naim, the NAC is recommended, but I don’t think it is necessary with Chord. I did at one time use a Naim DAC into NAP200 and relied on software volume control, seemed to work OK, but I understand the “boom” concern, never thought about it at the time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.