Can you feel the music? What albums make your toes tap?

Given my musical experiences over the holidays I am left wondering what the listening experience is all about.
Does excellent recording quality equal an involved listening experience?

The new Muse album was underwhelming in quality and thus the experience did not convey the usual passion.
Culture Club’s new offering was immaculate in recording quality and musicianship, but instantly forgettable somehow.
Simple Minds Big Music from 2014 was superbly recorded, fully dynamic, pacey and memorable (for all the right reasons). Asgaard is still rocking.

Led Zeps The Song Remains The Same Remastered released last year 24-bit – 96.00 kHz flac, so much life and clarity.

2 Likes

No image, guess who tidied up all those album images and deleted them?
First nomination Black Uhuru - Anthem. It’s full of life, driven by Sly and Robbie. Doesn’t matter if it’s the audio system or in the car.
Secondly an old memory, the sixth form discos in an upstairs room at the local. There were the usual songs from the era, but the chap who owned the equipment always played Morris On, those were the days of blues or soul allegiances, but we all got up for a frenzied mock country dance.

1 Like

Peter - I have to agree - I bought the record in 1978 (on a school trip to London) and was never enthused about it - always sounded dull and muffled whilst harsh at the same time.

And b-o-r-i-n-g in the extreme - deffinately a case of a communication breakdown (sorry :))

Got the re-mastered CD lasy year and what a revalation - now it’s one of my most played albums.

1 Like

Loki - and long may Asgaard continue to rock - your views on those three albums match mine exactly so I’d agree with the implied answer to “Does excellent recording quality equal an involved listening experience?” - No it doesn’t.
Looking at some of my favourite albums confirms this - I think the thing that comes through from good, but poorly recorded, albums is the sense of power, enthusiasm and keen-ness (is there such a word ? There is now) of the band to get the material across to the listener. Bringing the forum owners into this I found this especially when I got my first Naim kit - I spent ages listening to albums I’d previously discarded as “too poor in sound quality to listen to” - I could see why the band were signed up by the record company in the first place !

5 Likes

At the moment Chet Baker’s reworking of Cole Porter’s Love for Sale on Chet’s Choice or Candy both great versions I just can’t get that bass line out of my head!

Hmmm… I can’t say there’s any particular albums that do it for me, nor that it is related to recording quality - I think it depends more on my mood, while I am more likely to take my feet when playing very loud.

A view commonly expressed by Naim enthusiasts Is that inducement to tap is a sign of good timing in the music, and hence a good system - however I find it quite variable. E.g. one thing that seems invariably to do it is when I hear a familiar piece of music in unexpected circumstances, such as in a TV prigramnr, even nearly lost in the background and despite hearing it through the crappy TV speaker, while even at live gigs/concerts tapping my foot is variable, most likely at a loud rock gigs, though then it is more likely to be more if my body than my feet!

But then some people seem to see tapping of feet as desirable whenever listening to music, a sign that they are emotionally engaged with it, whereas I don’t believe that is the connection - or at least it isn’t for me.

1 Like

from 2018 my favorite album of last year Primal Scream give out but never give In
the music is on another level, focus detail, the songs were already classics from PS but this album has taken some on the them onto another level - the guitar on Jailbird alone - and Rocks
Jesus for me is my favorite track and sums up the whole album

3 Likes

It’s for me a combination of things:

1. With the introduction of the ND555 in my system, the number of albums which engage me has dramatically increased.
  2. It’s also mood dependent, often in the evening I am quite open to tapping, or while I am at work and in a flow.
  3. Great albums help, they sound under more conditions good (even on the radio)

I totally agree with you. I have it on vinyl. Listen to the guitar in No Quarter. It’s like having Jimmy Page seated close to you. Stunning

1 Like

I have to agree Bert, the ND 555 has taken foot tapping to a whole new level here!

1 Like

This album makes my humble system sing!

5 Likes

[quote=“TallGuy, post:5, topic:118, full:true”]
Loki - and long may Asgaard continue to rock - your views on those three albums match mine exactly so I’d agree with the implied answer to “Does excellent recording quality equal an involved listening experience?” - No it doesn’t.
Looking at some of my favourite albums confirms this - I think the thing that comes through from good, but poorly recorded, albums is the sense of power, enthusiasm and keen-ness (is there such a word ? There is now) of the band to get the material across to the listener. Bringing the forum owners into this I found this especially when I got my first Naim kit - I spent ages listening to albums I’d previously discarded as “too poor in sound quality to listen to” - I could see why the band were signed up by the record company in the first place !

I know exactly what you mean: as the kit becomes more transparent and capable so the should of the recording seems to be released, regardless of quality. I have several albums previously dismissed which now are listenable to the point of enjoyment. The difficulty is trying to muster the courage to revisit an album previously dismissed and taking the risk when on premium limited listening time: Asgaardian duties take precedence!

Cro2 or Metal?:sunglasses:

Slowdive. Slowdive. 2017

Just something about this that gets every thing tapping. Looking on my Desk Top Manager settings this is my most played recording.

Although maybe just getting a little thread bare - and looking for a new super tapper.

4 Likes

Pretty tappy stuff…

Oh, Omnion. Look at Kraftwerk photo-bombing!

Loki - you raise some interesting points. For me when it comes to contemporary music it does not matter how it sounds (the HiFi) its all in the music (how its written, presented etc…), if the music has what it takes, it will show even over a tinny transistor radio. However I found the opposite in classical music. My friend bought me a box 10CD collection of Gustav Mahler and had some good conductors Kubelik, Klemperer, Boult, Reiner, Walter, Mitropoulus, Rosbud & Stokowski, so it is reasonable to say that the performance side will be good. But when I started playing the Cd’s majority of the recordings were done in the 50’s , the sound of the orchestra clearly showed that the recording was old by the screechy tone of the instruments. I simply could not tolerate to listen to the cds no matter how good the performance was on the recording. I found same Mahler music in later recorded Cd’s in 70’ & 80’s, what an improvement in recording, I could then listen and enjoy the music.

I’ve a problem with this in so much as my system does nothing but make my toes tap. When the fingers go as well it’s an especially rhythmic album but if this isn’t happening on your Naim system on every/most records then that suggests to me that

a) you’ve not got a Naim system :slight_smile:
b) you’ve got a new style Naim system with the “more rounded” presentation :wink:
c) you need some recaps or an upgrade :smile:

Or d) Toe-tapping is not your thing

1 Like