Cannonball Adderley recommendations

There is a nice vinyl pressing of it from Alto worth checking out

Thanks but I’ve not got my Planar 3 up and running at the moment.

Whatever format, enjoy, I think its good

1 Like

Just playing this - very good with some great solos

3 Likes

Can’t go wrong with Cannonball. This one with Yusef Lateef in the front line is currently spinning on my newly commissioned ‘system B’ and is recommended !

3 Likes

Ray’s Jazz ‘Rare as Hen’s Teeth’ section. In Ray’s original shop, it use different to be a box of rare LPs that you could put sealed bids in for the items on show. If that was the original Louis Smith on a Blue Note 47W63rd pressing, it would be a rare one. More commonly seen would be King and Toshiba Japanese reissues.

1 Like

This one is pretty essential too and brilliantly recorded. Another live gig at Comblain-La-Tour, Belgium.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Certainly got some listening to do :grin:

Used to have the LP many years ago - played it all the time - and have just bought a digital version. Great music.

This is excellent. Also featuring his brother Nat.

hqdefault

4 Likes

For the Cannonball Adderley completist…

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow

In the Land of Hi-Fi is one of Sarah Vaughan’s best jazz dates for EmArcy. Accompanied by an all-star orchestra arranged by Ernie Wilkins and featuring altoist Cannonball Adderley (who was near the beginning of his career), the great singer is in superior form during these concise (around three minutes apiece) performances, particularly on “Soon,” “Cherokee,” “I’ll Never Smile Again,” and “An Occasional Man.” A strong session.

Dave

1 Like

Love this one.

More obscure but extremely good.

1 Like

Are there any bad Cannonball albums?

It’s all relative but this might be a contender…

R-1020009-1184789772.jpeg

Some people like this kind of thing apparently. :grinning:

Dave

1 Like

I really enjoy this one

Cannonball Adderley Hi-Fi

Claude

4 Likes

I find some of the late-era Capitols a bit variable but for the 50s and 60s LPs, can’t think of any.

Big kudos as well for Brother Nat being such a fine front line partner.

2 Likes

Yes, surely you cant really have a thread on Cannonball without bringing in brother Nat, especially Work Song

2 Likes

Inside Straight is rather good IMHO of course.

SteveT

I spun the Speakers Corner vinyl reissue of this one last night - I’d forgotten what a great record it is.

2 Likes