Can't access Tidal via Focal & Naim App

As an interesting postscript, although I can now play Tidal quite happily via my ND5SX, having upgraded to 4.8, after each session the Naim app logs me out of Tidal, so I have to log in every time. Not disastrous, but irritating nonetheless. I would be interested to hear if this happens to anyone else.

I don’t use Tidal but, having read many posts when we were originally beta testing it and subsequently, I don’t think that is normal at all.

Have you tried logging out of Tidal in the Naim app, then restarting the Naim app and logging into Tidal again?

@Harleyandy as David has commented, what you describe is not normal.
I use Tidal every evening with my Nova, using iPad 3gen iOS 15.7, never any issues.
I also have a SU and UQ2 again no issues.

Suggestion, you know where you are, which Naim app and version you are using, on what control point, model and os version. Useful if you can include those details, since a reply will otherwise be very limited.

One thing you can try. Log out of Tidal on any and every control point or player. Using one login, make sure your password is not containing and unusual characters. Then fully logout and shut down these and then restart your router, after which restart your control point and see if that fixes the issue.
If you are an android user, unable to help further.

@soundhound thanks for that, Good suggestion. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that! Makes a lot of sense. I have logged out of all devices and predictably Tidal is behaving itself and playing quite happily with no issues whatsoever. When nobody is looking I will reboot the router. I am using an ND5XS and XP5XS combo, now running firmware 4.8, Controlled by an iPad Air 2 running IOS 15.7.3 and Naim App 6.1.0. I will reinstall Tidal and see what happens. It´s always good to do a clean install.

MY Naim App says: Streamer version 4.4, cheching the NAC-N 272 device info via IP the Firmware Version: 2.0.68.13731 is shown. Can not be correct from my point of view, I could run Tidal until a couple of days and it just run with firmware 4.4 ff. Same as Version in the System Status information from the NAC-N 272.
Which is correct one and can I update to the newest firmaware from here?

NAC-N 272 is connected via LAN, not W-LAN or Bluethoot.

You need to update it to 4.8.
2.0.68…… is the firmware version of the Ethernet port, ignore that it’s unrelated.

Yes but the point is that Tidal has only just (last week) made the authentication change that was announced a year or more ago and the 4.8 firmware which was released by Naim to solve that problem does actually fix it.

Thank you all for feedback. System is now updated to 4.8.

All is now ok. I finally succeeded in installing the usb driver and streamer update has run smoothly. Tidal is again up and running.

Do I need to uninstall the driver?

Thanks vey much

No leave it there. Naim have said there will be another firmware update for legacy streamers later this year, so likely you will need it again. The driver won’t do any harm in your PC.

Can someone please let me know precisely what USB cable I need to connect my laptop to my 272 so that I can upgrade my Tidal firmware. I have tried three different cables so far and none work
A to A, A to B and Ato C
Thanks

Download the instructions from here:

It mentions the cable types, e.g. “a fully wired USB A to Mini-USB B cable (“Charging Only” cables cannot be used as
they are not wired for data transfer)”

Yes thank you but can anyone send me a link to somewhere I can buy one - Amazon seems to have different sorts of A ( or USB 2.0) to mini B cables. Fed up of buying the wrong one

I thought I had a spare one, but after searching high and low I can’t find it, so can only conclude I’ve recycled it.

The one I used was made by Lindy. I’ve looked on Amazon and think this is the right one. It’s £2.28.

We aren’t allowed to link to commercial sites here. But if you go to Amazon and search for USB A to USB mini b then you see lots of choice. It doesn’t matter whether it’s USB 2.0 or not but if it says USB 2.0 its fine. (The A and mini b refer to the size of the plugs whereas 2.0 refers to the data transfer speed.)

Don’t buy one that mentions camera charging unless it also says “ and data transfer”. There is no advantage in buying a more expensive one, so go for a cheap one.

Edit: HH’s post above does indeed show a suitable one.

Yes indeed. Top quality for £2.28.

Thank you

You are most welcome. These wires can be a minefield, with all sorts available. That one should be fine.

Well the Lindy cable arrived and it fitted into the back of the 272. Loaded the Updater program but then I get the choice of a serial port with no choices available and the data transfer does not happen. There is a suggestion that I need to connect the amp with my Network modem via an Ethernet cable but the distance between the two is about 100 feet. Any ideas as to what to do now? If I really cannot do this without an Ethernet cable, can I buy a very long one. I cannot move the Internet modem and would be very loath to move the 272. I am wondering how good Spotify is

Are you using a PC or a Mac? Assuming it’s a PC, have you installed the USB drivers? It won’t work if you haven’t. It’s all explained in the installation instructions that come with the Naim download.

Also you have to connect the 272 and turn it on and then (and only then) do you start the updater program. If you start the program, then connect and turn on the 272, then try to select the serial port, then the updater won’t find it.

Regarding the Ethernet cable, 100 feet is quite long and it might work or it might not. But you do need the 272 to be connected to the network by Ethernet or WiFi and by the USB lead to the PC at the same time. The PC also has to be connected to the same network by Ethernet or WiFi. Probably the easiest way to do this is to move your 272 to be close to your router. You just need the mains supply to it and an Ethernet cable. No need to worry about input and output connections.