Can't access Tidal via Focal & Naim App

All is now ok. I finally succeeded in installing the usb driver and streamer update has run smoothly. Tidal is again up and running.

Do I need to uninstall the driver?

Thanks vey much

No leave it there. Naim have said there will be another firmware update for legacy streamers later this year, so likely you will need it again. The driver won’t do any harm in your PC.

Can someone please let me know precisely what USB cable I need to connect my laptop to my 272 so that I can upgrade my Tidal firmware. I have tried three different cables so far and none work
A to A, A to B and Ato C
Thanks

Download the instructions from here:

It mentions the cable types, e.g. “a fully wired USB A to Mini-USB B cable (“Charging Only” cables cannot be used as
they are not wired for data transfer)”

Yes thank you but can anyone send me a link to somewhere I can buy one - Amazon seems to have different sorts of A ( or USB 2.0) to mini B cables. Fed up of buying the wrong one

I thought I had a spare one, but after searching high and low I can’t find it, so can only conclude I’ve recycled it.

The one I used was made by Lindy. I’ve looked on Amazon and think this is the right one. It’s £2.28.

We aren’t allowed to link to commercial sites here. But if you go to Amazon and search for USB A to USB mini b then you see lots of choice. It doesn’t matter whether it’s USB 2.0 or not but if it says USB 2.0 its fine. (The A and mini b refer to the size of the plugs whereas 2.0 refers to the data transfer speed.)

Don’t buy one that mentions camera charging unless it also says “ and data transfer”. There is no advantage in buying a more expensive one, so go for a cheap one.

Edit: HH’s post above does indeed show a suitable one.

Yes indeed. Top quality for £2.28.

Thank you

You are most welcome. These wires can be a minefield, with all sorts available. That one should be fine.

Well the Lindy cable arrived and it fitted into the back of the 272. Loaded the Updater program but then I get the choice of a serial port with no choices available and the data transfer does not happen. There is a suggestion that I need to connect the amp with my Network modem via an Ethernet cable but the distance between the two is about 100 feet. Any ideas as to what to do now? If I really cannot do this without an Ethernet cable, can I buy a very long one. I cannot move the Internet modem and would be very loath to move the 272. I am wondering how good Spotify is

Are you using a PC or a Mac? Assuming it’s a PC, have you installed the USB drivers? It won’t work if you haven’t. It’s all explained in the installation instructions that come with the Naim download.

Also you have to connect the 272 and turn it on and then (and only then) do you start the updater program. If you start the program, then connect and turn on the 272, then try to select the serial port, then the updater won’t find it.

Regarding the Ethernet cable, 100 feet is quite long and it might work or it might not. But you do need the 272 to be connected to the network by Ethernet or WiFi and by the USB lead to the PC at the same time. The PC also has to be connected to the same network by Ethernet or WiFi. Probably the easiest way to do this is to move your 272 to be close to your router. You just need the mains supply to it and an Ethernet cable. No need to worry about input and output connections.

I am using a PC which is borrowed and which I am not used to. I thought I had updated the USB drivers but maybe not. What I do know is that the operating system is Windows 10: does that make a difference ? Both the PC and the 272 are connected to the same wi-fi network wirelessly and that the 272 is turned on before I connect them by USB cable

You have to install the drivers whatever version of windows. This isn’t updating the drivers, it’s installing special ones so the USB port becomes a virtual serial port. If you read the instructions that Naim provide with the update, it’s all explained in there. You need to do exactly what it says, not what you think might be near enough the same!

It’s essential to connect the 272 to the network with a cable. I never used a cable on the laptop and did loads of firmware upgrades. We do have good solid wifi though, and I wouldn’t risk it unless the wifi is good. The alternative is to take the 272 to the router.

That’s right. My Uniti is connected to the network with a cable, as wi-fi is generally very flakey

You can take a chance on using WiFi for the streamer if you want, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Just buy a long Ethernet cable if you don’t want to move the streamer. Any basic certified Cat5e cable will be fine for up to 100 metres.

1 Like

First the good news
I updated the USB drivers and then loaded the Naim streamer upgrade. This was successful and my 272 is showing that it is on Firmware 4.8.
Now the not so good news. Whenever I try and login to Tidal using the Naim app it does not recognise me, nor allow me to change my password. My subscription is definitely up to date, but when I first lost contact, I may have tried logging on with my password a lot of times unsuccessfully as I did not have the firmware upgrade

Any suggestions

Go to the Tidal site and change the password there and then sign in through the Naim app with the new password.

it works ! Thanks to all

2 Likes