Can't download from Qobuz

What happens if you select the CD1 folder two below your highlighted one?

Nothing in there. That was a brief resting spot during moving files/troubleshooting.

Edit - just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. No diff.

At this point it is clear to me that no matter what method I use to download through the app, Qobuz is treating the files as part of my offline library. Until I move them to another file location.

Choose “tar” to download them.

If you choose “app” it means the qobuz app will download them to the offline library and therefore consider them as temporary.

I had read that article but did not find it very helpful. First the screenshots did not match what I was seeing (and I don’t mean the language). As you can see from one of my screenshots above, when I try to download from the Qobuz Store (which certainly indicates that these are purchases). I get the choice: Download With Qobuz for Mac/PC and Download My Music. There is nothing to suggest that one of the choices is only temporary. As far as I can determine in Qobuzspeak that would be considered imported music.

Moreover if those files were intended to disappear once I log out, copying them to another locations seems an awful easy way to defeat the system. By the way, I also modified their tags and converted them to another format (WMA lossless to FLAC) within JRiver.

Nonetheless, I can’t deny that’s what’s happening. I just think it’s a bug.

Whatever, you now know how to do it. Select flac from the drop down before downloading and you won’t need to convert. With these things you sometimes need to try the various options to work it out.

You can actually download from the PC app - it’s an option when you see the pictures of the various albums, but I find the old fashioned way with TAR files works well every time.

1 Like

Have to agree, the TAR files work perfectly.:+1:

I am not downloading the Tar. Couldn’t make it work on my pc. I am using the green “ download my music “, then select aiff then download track by track.

You just need an unpacker that can handle tar files. The free 7zip is it.

1 Like

Actually, from what I’ve read, Windows has added a command line unpacker for tar.

Does that work? Do you lose files as I did?

No, I don’t loose files. I just download the files but not using Tar. It works easily.
However I prefer Bandcamp, so much more straightforward . Or HDTRACKS. If the album is only on Qobuz, I use Qobuz. Qobuz is also more expensive.

Maybe, but apparently FR did not know about it, and anyway I believe that FR would prefer a GUI tool if he ever has a need to unpack tar files. Nothing wrong with 7zip, it’s free and open software that works great with every compression format.

7Zip has been my default decompression tool for decades. :grin:

1 Like

Maybe because I am on Windows 7. I tried but couldn’t unpack the Tar files.
But as I tried to explain, it’s not a problem anymore, because I usually buy more tracks than entire albums. I select the format then click download.

I understood that you don’t need to unpack tars now. I was just offering a solution for if you ever have a need. The Windows GUI file explorer can’t handle tars IIRC, and 7zip works just fine on Win7

1 Like

Ok , thanks Suedkiez. It may be useful one day :+1:

1 Like

I did hear back on that thread. The issue has been sent to the Qobuz development team to be corrected.

I’ve not used the Qobuz app for ages - it’s messed up my downloaded files and lost them in the past, a mixture of purchases and downloads to listen to offline.

Naturally they will have some system to protect unpurchased content from being copied and stripped of protection but that should not be the case for purchases. Odd.

I think ultimately I don’t trust any vendors own programs to store my purchased video/audio content or handle photos and have generally handled them manually. Appreciate that doesn;t help with the app issue, but as much as it’s a chore, when you download stuff more manually (or make copies elsewhere) you are in control.

I may revisit, the Qobuz app - thinking about it, I was using an external drive for the app. Many offline files were in the expected location just that the app no longer saw them, again a bit different to them disappearing, unless Windows is somehow moving rather than copying.

I heard back from Qobuz support directly. I was quite surprised that the answer was works as designed (currently).

“If you log out of your account on our app, for legal reasons, all downloaded files are deleted. This eventually will only affect music downloaded for streaming not purchases. However, I don’t have a timeline that I can currently share with you.”

My advice to them was that if this is the case, Qobuz should provide a notice to music purchasers determining how to download.

For offline downloads of tracks you haven’t purchased that makes sense. Not for those you’ve purchased, there should be a distinction between these.

I’ve just opened the app after a while and it’s reconfigured the database and I deleted a few older tracks.

Browsing options under the account it has this warning about logging out:

The trouble is it logged me out after updating the app!!! It should warn you I think, unless the tracks stay unless you fail to login correctly again with same account name.

If the downloader works well it could be handy - currently trying to download a Maria Callas collection I’ve never had the patience to download manually - 1119 tracks! Almost 40 CDs.

Can’t seem to see a download format option currently.

Also had this - all very well changing the content management system but deleting things already downloaded is a bit naughty: