Can't Turn Off Multiroom

Ok, sounds like we’re not getting hi res at the slave regardless of platform. Good to know.

So I’m under the impression that anything above CD quality (16 bit 44.1K) is considered hi res. Perhaps that’s not the case.

However, I’ve noticed that I can multiroom 24 bit 44.1K files from Qobuz and my NAS (asset) with no issues. I’ve also noticed I can multiroom JB Radio 2 (48k PCM) with no problems. So is it accurate to say the legacy platform can multiroom some hi res formats?

The multiroom limit for 1st gen streamers in WAV or FLAC is 24/48, not 16/44.1.

24 bit is considered Hi Res. This is usually at 96K or 192K sample rate but may be only be 44K or 48K. Multiroom works with Hi Res but not above 48K.

1 Like

You won’t get Hi Res at the slave whatever the source. It will only be 320kbps MP3.

1 Like

Thanks. I assumed that all 24 bit would be > 44.1. Is there an explanation for why a 24 bit file would only be 44.1? Is it intentional? Limitation of the master? Limitation of software? Just curious.

24 bit material nearly always used to be 24/96, then sometimes 24/192, but quite a lot of Qobuz stuff is now 24/44.1. I would say that generally it all sounds better than 16 bit ‘CD quality’ but I can’t say I’ve noticed 192kHz sounding noticeably better than 96.

I don’t know but it is probably down to limitations on the digital master. If the master had that sampling speed then there would be no point in over sampling to create, say, 96K (although some unscrupulous companies have done this). I have a few albums that are 24 bit and 44.1K.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.