Car Battery Charger

Whilst our Mini Clubman JCW is currently being trickle charged with the CTEK 5 charger, I thought I’d share what I’m keeping the Aston charged with. This dedicated charger has a special magnetic clip (MagCode PowerClip ®) under the rear number plate that allows easy connection of the charger to the car without opening the car.

It’s a very clever solution (also used on Bentleys and some other cars) and will only connect the correct way round.

The other advantage is that if you forget to disconnect the charger before driving off, the MagClip simply (& safely) detaches.

George.

What a good idea

1 Like

Spark near a gassing lead acid battery, That would be a reasonable reason.
Clearly I should change my bad habits of a lifetime.

No need to change habits, but maybe some care & awareness of whats going on.
Gassing is part of the natural charging process, during normal typical low level home charging this is very low & will not normally be a problem, but it still has a potential risk.

A real problem is with ‘boost’ charging or unregulated voltage overcharging or in any charging situation when a battery has a defective cell.
The cells give off hydrogen gas during the charging (change of state) process, and hydrogen gas is combustible. The charging process generates heat & the heat & gas emission volumes become higher when using boost & unregulated chargers.
They go off with an explosive bang causing the case to crack & the very high risk that anyone close will get their face &, most dangerous, eyes sprayed with sulphuric acid (electrolyte)

Checked on the battery chargers in the garage today, so thought I’d take some photos. Here’s the CTEK on the Mini;

…and some photos showing the Aston charger & close-ups of the MagClip ® connector (above the number plate);

Yes, I know, the cars are dirty - on the ‘to do list’!

George.

2 Likes

I was going to post, I have no idea what I am looking at, but then it came into focus, yup that looks dirty! :0)

1 Like

As an apprentice we would be sent to top up the forklift batteries, I did one just at start of charge, dear god the acid went everywhere and muggins got to clear it up, my hands were stinging. Health and safety, what health and safety?

Actually the most risky bit was craning the heavy steel battery boxes out. Easy to lose a finger.

I think that they called it character forming!

2 Likes

That AM solution looks proper clever.

Our carss are also in need of a good wash. Lawnmower needs recommissioning, grass needs cutting.

My time in isolation post repatriation will not be wasted this week.

2 Likes

My new NOCO Genius G3500 has arrived as promised after ordering Friday (now Monday).

And I have to post to the forum just to say I am really impressed:
The packaging is outstanding, I’ve not seen anything as good. A very sturdy outer box with easy open, firm closing lid. Inside is an inner box thats designed to correctly store the charger with a divider for the wires & the box it includes a nice hang it on the wall fold away bracket.
The quality of the wires, connectors & clamps is really top end.
The charger itself is heavy chunky & includes facilities to screw it to something.
Instructions are extensive but simple.
Connecting, starting & selecting the mode is a doddle.
Its doin’ the business as I write & as a technophobe I will be following the process with my volt & ammeters connected.
So far I’m highly impressed.

3 Likes

You have tempted me Mike, looks pretty good for the price.

1 Like

I ordered the Noco Genuis 5 from the river on Saturday evening and it arrived on my doorstep (literally) yesterday after lunch as the battery on my V40 is now 7 years old and (I think) starting to run down. Plugged in, charged up and starts perfectly again, so will use it to top-up every few weeks I think.
Thanks to Mike-B for starting this thread as it prompted me to do something that I have been thinking about for a few months now.

3 Likes

My trusty old Optimate charger (with equally trusty old Altai DM) at work getting a neighbour’s new ride on mower battery off to a good start. She had been going through these (expensive) batteries at a rate of 1 every 2-3 years, because she wasn’t aware of the need to bring the battery to a state of full charge before the winter layoff. Even heavy duty cyclic batteries do not like being left part charged for long periods.

Added audio geek plus point of this charger - it’s got a linear power supply, so one less cheap smps dirtying up the mains :wink:

1 Like

Yes very impressed with mine, thanks to @Mike-B for the thread and the tip.

2 Likes

Hi again peeps, just to add some more info.
The charger i bought was a NOCO G3500.
I chose it because I knew my BMW 90A/hr battery was going downhill with a risk of so called ‘sulphation’ as the standing voltage was barely 12V, it should be 12.2V at least, ideally 12.6V.
This was due in part to age (6) & low charge because of a period in the last 6 months of infrequent & short journeys.
This charger has an automatic diagnostic, optimisation & maintenance program & most useful a ‘repair’ program that can help with sulphation.
Whatever, between charging & recovering the BMW, plus the Honda, now back to the BMW, it been a busy old week for this little box.
Fingers crossed that one more repair run will improve it still further.

2 Likes

Nice choice Mike.
Noco and CTEK seem to be the two lead makes at the moment.
Our Noco Genius 5, the successor to yours, has just rejuvenated the batteries on 4 cars this week.
It’s a busy time, this lock-in!

Best regards, BF

4 Likes

Yes thats the one i bought after your tip, lots of buttons to play with…and does the business at as i thought a reasonable price compared to a new OEM battery.

2 Likes

Cheers again folks. My CTEK arrived yesterday and will be perfect for keeping both cars topped up whilst they are not getting a lot of use. Excellent recommendation.

5 Likes

Hi again folks, just found some more info as a result of not getting full charge indication as expected.

My BMW battery is a AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat). This battery type is used by BMW all over & from what I can determine on other car brands as well, so worthwhile to check to see what you have.

Older tech batteries are wet or flooded cell & like a regulated charge voltage of 14.4-14.5V
AGM batteries like a higher charging voltage of 14.7-14.8V

So if you do have an AGM battery, be sure to set your charger for AGM, if it has that facility.

2 Likes

When you use these chargers do you/can you leave the battery connected to the car or does it have to be disconnected?

Hi Richard, you can leave them on if you wish, NOCO & CTEK have an end of charge program called ‘maintenance’, this just keeps voltage at a healthy level. Or, as I plan to do, just give them a zap once a month or so as (during these lock-down times) we will be using one or other car around once a week.