Car Battery Warranty

I think solar trickle chargers are available. Connect it up to the battery or cigarette lighter, put the solar panel in one of the windows and its all happy days.

I had an email from BMW that said I needed to run the engine for ā€œabout 20 mins a weekā€ to keep the battery in good condition.

1 Like

If the battery voltage drops below 10.6 volts it causes permanent damage and cannot be properly recharged

1 Like

I would say a little more than that due to loss from start current. A car battery becomes fully charged after about 4 hrs at 14.4volts. A charge consists of a constant current to 14.4 V followed by constant voltage (absorption) charge for 4 hours after which it can be considered fully charged. AFAIK used to maintain 8400 Amp/hr 250 V FLA batteryšŸ’Ŗ

You may well be right. I am just saying what the official advice from BMW UK was a few months ago.

Do a trial: measure the voltage at start of the week, then measure at end of week then run engine for 20 mins and measure again.

Iā€™m really not in the least interested in doing that! Sorry.

2 Likes

They may be correct if it has a large alternator some have 200 Amp alternators which will recharge quickly but 80 or 90 Amp look more standard.

I keep an eye on how the Auto Stop/Start operates to get an indication of battery condition.
The condition of the battery is monitored by the engine management system, if certain conditions arenā€™t met, the Auto Stop/Start does not operate. I went for a drive this afternoon (first time for 7 days) and noted that it didnā€™t work until Iā€™d driven 8 miles.

I checked the battery voltage when I got home, it was 12.45v. :grinning:

Agreed, a clever trickle charger can make a battery last a loooong time.
I would recommend Optimate / Accumate

Note that any external socket must, by law, be installed by an electrician who is ā€˜Part Pā€™ qualified.

I use one, sort of, itā€™s actually rated at 18W and uses a small chopper stabiliser circuit to prevent overcharging.
Itā€™s very effective.

1 Like

Itā€™s not an external socket. Itā€™s an extension lead with the socket end screwed to the wallā€¦

Iā€™m not sure that is exempt.
If itā€™s permanently fitted to the porch, then depending on whether the porch is considered an integral part of the building or an external attached structure (N.B. I canā€™t remember the exact wording), I think it may well fall under the relevant regulations. Public access to the porch may be relevant as well, unless the porch is normally securely locked.

Itā€™s an integral part of the building, but itā€™s only live when I plug it in and I only plug it in when I want to use it. Anyway I think itā€™s unlikely anyone in authority is going to argue with me over it!

Best

David

That bitā€™s definitely not relevant in law!

But itā€™s part of why itā€™s an extension lead and not a permanent installation.

Still irrelevant in the Electrical Regulations! :woman_shrugging:

Let it go!

2 Likes

Yes irrelevant, because the IET Wiring Regulations donā€™t apply to temporary extension leads.