Car Insurance

What you say is indeed true. We were abroad for 17 years, when we returned, I had accrued 17 years no claims discount. Both my wife and I are British citizens and both passed our tests in the UK. To most insurers none of that was taken into account. All the compare sites and all the direct insurers simply did not want to know. So I had to use a british insurance broker, who was willing to recognise the ‘foreign’ no clams bonus. This came at quite a price premium. After a year of paying through the nose I then was able to shop around and because I now had 18 years of accrued bonus on a british insurer’s paperwork, my premium were slashed by more than a thousand pounds a year. The insurance industry in the UK is a racket.

Yes, that is the web page I had seen - pretty weird! It seems there is a huge payment when first registered - so if you are not the first owner you avoid that, then actually quite cheap per year unless the car is valued at >£40k, when loaded by an extra £360 a year for 5 years.

There used to be some quirks in UK car Insurance such as the 20 day rule.

Some companies used to rate you a higher risk if you renew your insurance too early, before the renewal notice had arrived (reckon it means you drive too quick) or if you renew last second (you are not a careful driver, apt to making rash decisions last second). Best deal was when the company sent you the first renewal notice.

Also most have an algorithm that tells them if you have any kind of accident then you are more liable to have another within 6 months even though the accident may not be your fault so they will look to increase the quote on your next policy.

We went through all the comparison sites for our last quote as the wife 's car was written off last year but a driver who fell asleep at the wheel. We got quotes ranging from £2k to £400. We ended up moving to Mercedes own insurance. But shop around is my advice.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.