Car Value to HiFi

I guess 5:1 in favour of my two cars - obviously need to spend more on HiFi as I’m a bucking the trend here. I do like HiFi, but I also like cars and watches! I guess 1:1 with watches.

1 Like

If I consider the resale value of my car, I guess I’m about 140:1 in favour of HiFi.

Cars aren’t really my thing :joy:

1 Like

Car 3 to hifi 4

At the time, when purchasing my NAIM gear in 1999, my dealer was saying that a good sound system should cost as much as a car. I did not argue but pointed out that in that case I was purchasing a Yugo from them.

Car to Hi Fi - 2.5 : 1.

16 years old car depreciated by 80%, sound system by 70% after 21 years.

Another car-less Naim owner.

Bicycle to HiFi say 1:10 and about to widen.

My car is 17 years old and worth very little these days, it wasn’t expensive when it was bought new but was more than all my hifi. No idea how much is get for it as its bodywork is not in the best shape, but it’s only clocked 70000 miles this year.

I just feel greatful that you can own a 10 year old car…and it’s still a nice vehicle
Not like the old days when you wondered if it would fail the first MOT on rust after 3yrs

My cars are both about 9yrs old now and ratio is about 1 to 4 car to hifi
Retirement means they will have to last a few more years

1 Like

This is an interesting point…car value to audio gear. The new SAT turntable, highly reviewed by one Micheal Fremer is priced about the same as a new Lamborghini!!! Something wrong with the state of audio pricing, some might claim!!

Probably upwards of 50:1 in favour of the hi-fi. I can afford a nice hi-fi, I can afford a nice car, but not both.

Happy member of carless Naim owners.
Ebike : Hi Fi
1 : 2.5
Ebike’s a fancy one, too.

1 Like

:scream:

1 Like

This may explain why my dealer doesn’t bat an eyelid when I turn up in my old and very unglamorous estate car to pick up £12k’s worth of kit to demo.

2 Likes

He understands you probably borrowed your neighbours car because the kit wouldn’t fit into your Lamborghini.

3 Likes

@n-lot I wish, actually no I don’t!

Its been an eye opener. It appears we all value HiFi higher than cars, in fact most of us have modest cars and extreme systems. Maybe thats why we are on this forum.

2 Likes

Probably close to 2 : 1 in favour of the car, at new prices. If you add bikes and other cars, the balance is skewed even further.

If I had a “life’s pleasures” list, music and HiFi would be separate line items, with music coming out ahead and both probably somewhere in the top 1/3 of a long list.

Shopping has gone the way of a lot of purchases and gone online. You can even buy a car that way if you want. Buying groceries online is the way to go especially if you are a pensioner. But for considered purchases and that’s hi-fi as well as cars then a demo with someone who knows the product is essential, if nothing else to make sure its the right one for you.
Music in cars is a compromise as the ambient noise gets in the way. Naim for Bentley would be a help.
The Sony PS-F 9 with vertical play is interesting. I’ll stick with this forum’s default turntable, the LP12.

It was a (bad) joke regarding your comment that your LP12 does not get dinged by a trolley going to Waitrose. I was imagining you carrying it under your arm while shopping :wink:

Interesting, my truck is 2 years old but my hifi is 25.
I don’t want to know what an equivalent of an active Olive system would cost these days, but probably at least twice the price of my truck, which gets used twice a week, whilst music is played almost continuously. However, the main system gets four to five hours workout a day.

Ask the same question on PetrolHeads and the answers would significantly skew in the opposite direction.
Fwiw my ration is about 4:1 for the stereo.