Cartridge for Prefix K

Greetings from Colorado. Just moved here from California, and this is my first post on the new forum- posted on the old one many years ago. Glad to see several familiar names. I’ve been happily listening to HDX/282/SuperCap/250-2/Allaes. But I also have my LP12 (from Chris Brooks c1983)/Ittok/Denon DL 103R/Armageddon/Prefix K which has been rarely used these last 5-6 years. All Fraimed. Now I have a much better sounding room (concrete floor, walls), the Denon is shot so I am after ideas for a cartridge to match the Prefix K. I don’t want another Denon- it was adequate but never moved me much (and the 2.5 g tracking weight bothers me). In the past I’ve had a few Linn Karmas and a couple of Klydes. I very much enjoyed these but wanted to spend less which is why I tried the Denon.

I’m after something that will last a while (is 5 years unreasonable, 10 albums a week?). Is there anything less $ than the Linn Krystal that I should consider. I’ve been out of HiFi product changes for a long time so just trying to get my bearings. Can an AT-OC9 work with a Prefix K? FWIW, there is a Linn dealer an hour away but its very hard to audition anything meaningful. This really is where the forum can be a great help to those of us overseas.

Also, am I missing anything ‘obvious’ to improve the system? I have no power lines, Burndies, no power supply for the Prefix other than the pre-amp. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Wayne

Hi Wayne, I have used both the OC9 and Krystal with Stagelines which are effectively the same as your Prefix. The OC9 was great, good detail with a bright presentation that worked well with the slightly ‘darker’ Stageline S.

The move up to Krystal was significant though. I also changed the S to a K which was another worthwhile increase in performance. So, what would be my suggestion? Go the extra mile for the Krystal as it will get the perfect loading from your Prefix. Although more expensive remember it has a minimum trade in value down the line which helps a little. Just my thoughts of course.

Stu

The OC9 MLII works very nicely with the LP12 and Ittok, and also will work well with a Prefix (K is fine here ). Also bear in mind that AT have just released the latest in the OC9 series, the OC9X range. The OC9XML looks to be an update on the old MLII, whereas the OC9XSH looks rather interesting with its shibata stylus.

Hi Wayne. If you’re anywhere near Fort Collins, Rick at Audio Alternative is one of the best.

Thanks Stu, your suggestion is much appreciated. Guess I’ll listen to a Krystal as a starter. And thanks Richard for the OC9 info. I’m curious about the “K is fine here” comment- not always so though?

Bhoyo, I am indeed close to Fort Collins (I’m in Boulder)- really appreciate the helpful I info about Rick.

K is just fine - I have used a Prefix K with an OC9MLII with excellent results.

Does it work well on a michell gyrodec with an sme IV?

I can’t see any particular reason why not, but I haven’t tried the particular combination so couldn’t say for sure if there’s any particular issue.

Well… Having just got my 52 back I’ve connected a prefix K to the powered port and on to the Gyrodec (SME IV, Kontrapunkt H)

I’ve not listened to it much yet. The noise floor sounds slightly lower (silent spots are blacker) and the gain is lower than the existing phono stage (Graham Slee Elevator EXP/Reflex M).

I need to spend a bit more time listening to it yet.

A couple of questions:

1. Would I be better off using a HiCap and the unpowered port than a powered port on the 52?
  2. Is the Prefix K optimal for the Kontrapunkt H or would the Prefix S be better?

I think I need to work out how to hide it though since it’s a bit messy on the Gyro! (am thinking of a block of black perspex cut away somehow… but will probably remain as a thought!)

Horses for courses between a dedicated Hicap or the NAC52’s dedicated AUX2 feed. IIRC, Roy used to prefer the NAC52 AUX2, being a bit more “together”. I’d agree with that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.