Cartridge warmup?

Oh haha I have a Seasick Steve album where he has a truck’s engine going endlessly there.

15 minutes, I think its more like an hour until there’s nothing more to come, though most of it happens by the end of the first side.

1 Like

Yeah that is kind of what I meant. Logarithmic growth curve. After the first 15 mins it’s making my toes curl with listening pleasure.

1 Like

I have always felt that my system sounds better after 1 or 2 sides of an LP.

I have wondered whether this is due to the cartridge flexing and therefore becoming more responsive, or a similar flexing of the speaker cones or the oil around the deck’s bearing warming up and becoming optimal.

I leave my amps on 24/7 so I do not think it is them although the NAP sounds mighty fine when it is running touch warm or even more so if the fan kicks in at loud volumes!

I suspect the oil rather than the cartridge but I have no evidence or proof of such.

Richard

In effect what I read about it translates to this. The operational heat heating up the rubber mount of the cantilever making it soften, amongst other things.

Been playing vinyl for nearly fifty years

It’s ALWAYS been like this … cartridge’s take a little warming up

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.