Cat8 Ethernet Cables

Go ahead & try it, nothing to loose.
I’ve been working with ferrite for a while (years) & TBH ethernet is not a place I’ve found the biggest bang for buck.
Ethernet RJ45 (8P8C) ports include galvanic isolation & this isolation prevents a direct electrical connection between devices on the LAN & that is true with lower frequencies at least. Data stream signals will pass but stray currents such as induced by RFI or EMI more so might or might not be blocked. So does this mean there is nothing for the ferrite to absorb ???
My experiments have left me undecided, does ferrite bring a positive benefit? So far I’m minded to say I don’t hear anything detrimental with or without so they do no harm. Question is what do they do with screened ethernet.

I already use about six on the NDS and Core end of my cables, and a couple at the 2960 switch end of my cheap Cat 6 cables. My point was really kind of in sync with what SIS and Josquin have stated, that scientifically Ethernet cables should all sound the same, so it must be outside noise you are hearing. The ferrites should take care of that I would think, full disclosure, I have not tried fancy Ethernet cables myself, but I trust what SIS says, and Josquin has a lot of knowledge on these things, being in that industry as a career.

I assume that we are talking about the ethernet cables here, correct?

Absolutely… in fact some engineering papers recommend that to impede common mode high frequency currents between the MDIs (Media Dependent Interfaces) where the effects of Ethernet common mode noise are to be impeded. Common mode RF currents have nothing to do with galvanic isolation. Galvanic isolation is about breaking earth loops. Common mode noise to some extent will be implementation specific; ie it may affect some implementations more than others.

Interesting that low radiation designs also can use ferrite beads internally to decouple the physical interface from the ground and power-line planes…this is to reduce coupling from imbalances in the twisted pair lines amongst other things. Texas Instruments, who make the DACs Naim use, recommend this for low noise designs, as well as recommending the use of balanced Ethernet cables. Some of the boutique streamer cables (we can’t call some of them Ethernet cables as they don’t always conform to Ethernet cable requirements, Trades Description act etc) use single sided coax lines for each pair, which drives the pair in pure imbalance.
This will interact with the physical interface… and subject to extent of device decoupling modulate ground planes and power lines forming some sort of RF noise shaping.
Now there is nothing ‘wrong’ in theory in doing this as it’s upto an individual how they plug things together… but one should bear in mind that things like home network Ethernet connectivity and performance may well be outside specification, so normal Ethernet requirements may be limited such as length of lead.
I am intrigued on a commercial switch(such as 2960) to perform its internal cable diagnostic with such a streaming cables to see if it identifies it as having a cable fault. This may cause issues in some circumstances with some cables, and depending on streamer cable it’s possible you may be better off with using a consumer grade switch that doesn’t really care.
I only use regular Ethernet leads so can’t analyse one of these streaming leads.

Hi NQ not sure if it’s a typo or not, but what I have said in theory all Ethernet cables should NOT ‘sound’ the same when connected to certain audio devices… but the reason is correct, it’s because noise coupling and shaping. The TI engineering guide lays out some of the design considerations here for hosts and cables in this regard.

Yes Simon, I probably worded that wrong, thanks for clarifying it. I really don’t understand a lot of this, it just looks like you do, so I trust your opinion.

No worries… a lot this if not obvious… why an Ethernet or Streaming cable affects the sound and it being nothing to with data networks I concede needs a bit of thinking about if you are not an electronics engineer…
Just do what you prefer… my only caution is that one should expect side effects if using foundation products that don’t meet specific standards… as opposed to automatically blaming Naim, UPnP, Naim apps, whatever when things don’t go right. My observation is also that I suspect those most likely to use these sort of boutique products are also those probably least likely to be able diagnose when things don’t go right… and vendors and manufacturers who don’t point this out are being irresponsible in my opinion… but that is my professional world creeping in,

2 Likes

Yes, that is correct. Please forgive me on my typing skills, i’m not the greatest of communicators on a keyboard. Plus my eye sight isn’t exactly screen friendly either. Thanks

Yep, I have done just that.

I use a normal Cat6 UTP cable with 2 clip on ferrites (one at each end). I tried some ‘audiophile’ Ethernet cables and some ordinary Ethernet patch leads, and the one that sounded best in my system was a normal Cat 6 UTP patch lead, I then added the ferrites and got a further improvement.

1 Like

There seems to be a lot of talk around trying different RJ45 cables between streamers/NAS/switches, but has anyone tried an alternative signal cable between the modem/hub and the internet service provider wall socket?

Yes, we’ve had a few post on this on the old forum.
I changed mine from a “comes with the kit” JR11 cable, I needed an extra cable to connect the phone line via the UPS surge protector. So to hell with the expense, I went mad & bought two. So I have “Super High Speed ADSL 2 +” from wall socket to wireless hub.
Does it improve the iRadio sound ?? … err … no
Does it improve the broadband line speed ?? … err … no
… looks nice tho’

2 Likes

Please don’t give them ideas - I can see it now £4,000 RJ11 to RJ11 leads with metal connectors that make Apple Music sound better than Qobuz hi-res. So which ISP sounds better?

2 Likes

Thank you Mike-B, just wondered, as its the nearest thing to a ‘piece of string’ type cable in many a system where many worry about which ‘unobtainium’ type cable we should else where in the system.

Indeed Tiberio, this seems to be a relatively untapped market, a weak link perhaps? :0)

1 Like

Between the ears perhaps? :laughing:

I bought a reasonably cheap RJ11 to RJ11 on the bay place made up using Cat6 cable. It made no difference to speed but did somewhat improve sound quality to my ears.

Yep - did it change any sound anywhere? no
Did it improve my VDSL signal to noise ratio and attenuation? - yes marginally - but where I am in the performance distance curve - that has resulted a consistent sync improvement of around 1mbps download speed (around 46 to around 47 mbps).

My new RJ11 cable uses twisted pair wiring

:small_blue_diamond:If I’m going to be honest,.I don’t understand this ironizing of cables that always occur.

If it is not Naim’s or Chord’s cables,.then it is God’s gift to mankind.
I totally agree with @Stephen_Tate…“I don’t care about the science of it all. I can’t be bothered to read up on it all either.”

It is completely uninteresting about the technology behind a cable,.you only need to know it,if you are constructing and manufacturing the cable.
As A User,.you just have to listen…
•Better.
•Worse.
As Simply As That.

Keeping on and constantly ironizing,.and trying to make itself amusing over this with cables,at the expense of others.
It only indicates ignorance,.and lack of experience.
Install your system optimally,.then you also hear the difference.
Maybe no big difference,.but always a difference.

Everyone I’ve met during my hifi-life,when we have demonstrated cables,.experienced and inexperienced listeners…have heard a difference. If you hear no difference,.you most likely doing something wrong with your test of the cable,or there is something wrong with the music-system.

So please,.stop with this ironizing towards others,.who may have a different knowledge,or more experience than yours.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

Eh Peder a third possibility - no difference. That is what I experience with any none analogue cables.

fourth possibility: there’s a difference but the person doesn’t hear it.
fifth possibility: the person hears a difference but there’s not.

1 Like