CB 62/140/HiCap system - overly virile midrange/upper midrange

It seems to me that the amplitude of the 2KHz to 4KHz frequencies are a bit too high. It’s not harsh in any manner. Rather it just seems that for some reason, the NAC62 / NAP140 is not as neutral in this frequency region as what I’ve experienced with the modern black components.

I’m wondering if this is typical for this combination, or if it indicates that servicing is required, or something else?

Note that outside of the emphasis on those frequencies, the system sounds fantastic - highly musical with spades of PRAT and air.

From memory, the 62 140 combo (I had a 72 140) is quite “in your face” which might be what you’re experiencing. The true, old style, Naim.

2 Likes

I had a 72/140 for a short while and didn’t notice anything like this with an LP12.

I wonder if this is somewhat compensated for by vinyl. Not sure when Naim would have started to develop their equipment using CD. Perhaps a little after this and these designs originate in the vinyl era anyway (42.5/110).

1 Like

The 72 started out life in the Vinyl era and even though is not quite the same as a 32.5, its really the time align boards that made most of the difference. A couple of years later Naim introduced the CDS, and in fact later 72s had a CD setting on the selector switch.

For me, the newer black stuff is more neutral or linear, for want of a better word. This can be good or bad depending on your viewpoint, and or matching system.

3 Likes

Thanks Blythe, Murmur & Gary.

Okay, so perhaps this just has to do with the sound signature of this generation of gear and/or the 62/140 combination.

I’m using the Aux input currently. This 62 also came with the NA328 ‘Variable Level Line input with some HF filtering’ boards. Perhaps I should install those and see how it sounds in comparison to Aux.

The NA328 boards may help some older or budget digital sources, but if the source is up to scratch then they will impair performance.

Good to know, Richard. In that case, I’ll just stick with Aux and the Roon DSP tweak, which works just fine.

BTW, I assume it’s fine to operate the 62 without any cards installed. I have NA322/2 and NA328 boards. The NA328s are currently installed, but they seem a bit floppy. Since I’m not using the phono inputs at all, I’m wondering if it’s best to just run the 62 without either set. That way there would be less stuff drawing power, radiating emi, and/or possibly vibrating in sympathy with external vibration sources.

Yes, there may even be a small performance improvement running without the boards, if you don’t need them.

1 Like

Super. I will remove them. Thanks Richard.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.