CD...bit of a revelation

Is the CDS3 alot better than streamed digital?

I read that vinyl sales are allegedly around 700k/year and that CD disc sales are claimed to be around 5.5 million/year. CD player sales should be commensurate.

1 Like

Iā€™ll have a go at that. Caveat being that Iā€™ve never heard any of the streamers in my room on my system, however, Iā€™ve heard the ND555/NDS/NDX in numerous systems including on Statement and not once have any of them created a musical experience like that from my CDS3.

3 Likes

Iā€™m afraid that the CDS3 hasnā€™t arrived yet but Iā€™m hoping to be up and running next week, Iā€™ll report back in the future

Iā€™m hoping youā€™re right, but looking forward to finding out

1 Like

Listening to cds now and then. Love my Linn Akurate CD/SACD player.

6 Likes

That may well be, but the difference is not going to be in whether the digital data is saved on a spinning optical disk, a spinning magnetic disk, or in transistors arranged as RAM, before it is - in all cases - saved in other RAM waiting to be fed into the DAC

1 Like

Took delivery of the Audiolab today. Sensational value.
Added benefit that I rearranged my boxes moving the XpsDr away from the 250 which has removed a hum and improved overall sound.

Downside was when collecting a couple of extra shelves I accidentally ordered a 300DR.

4 Likes

It happens! Donā€™t beat yourself up over it. :laughing:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had great results with the Audiolab DC-Block in my non Naim system, now got them in front of all amps and cd/Dacs, might be of interest.

Everything just a little bit more effortless.

Sorry, bout of insomnia means brain isnā€™t quite working, didnā€™t give any context. Just thought might be a consideration in front of your new transport given the difference Iā€™ve found it can make.

To counter this one of them didnā€™t stay long in front of any of my Naim gear, whilst it brought changes I preferred without, but in the other system all positive.

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ve had a CD555 for a year or so now and it has rarely been out of action. So enjoyable to use too - it gets significantly more usage than my LP12 (sorry to be a heretic but there it is !)

Add the second 555PS to it and it is sublime.

Both CD555 and CDS3 are great.

2 Likes

My beloved CDX2 finally broke down after 17 spectacular years four weeks ago, to say I was thrilled that Naim can fix it with a new mechanism is an understatementā€¦ Whilst it is booked in (end of June due to their workload), I have a trusty old Marantz CD67 MkII OSE as a Locum for service. This last turned a wheel over 20 years ago and initially wouldnā€™t read a CD, but with a little 240V warmth running through its case, has now been reliably spinning all of our cherished CDā€™s.

The sound quality from a ?Ā£150 player back in the day is truly ridiculousā€¦ Massive stage, epic dynamics, huge involvementā€¦ OK, so itā€™s just a little boom - tiz, but very very good indeedā€¦ And then, a latest purchase is a box set of Mark Knopfler albums on CD after Dire Straits - yours for under a fiver each, truly ridiculous value for moneyā€¦

20 Likes

I suspect you will be more than pleased with the sound after service and repairs .

My CDX2 was serviced and I had a digital output so it could connect with my Nova, with the joys of internet R3 HD and the CDX2 I am a very happy camper

3 Likes

It seems Audiolab and Arcam are well regarded by CD afficionadoes.
I am listening to Propellerheads from an Arcam Alpha 5plus through an Audiolab 8000S/8000P combination. (The S is only preamp as the power amp stage burnt out a long time ago).
I have never streamed, having a couple of hundred CDs means I am never short of something to listen to and the broadband rate here in the sticks is meager.
CDs are available for pence (10 for a Ā£1 at my local charity shop - although 9 will cost you Ā£4.50) and still sound good to my (somewhat old and damaged) ears.
Any unwanted CD players - send to me.:smiley: I have a hankering for a Naim CD having heard one once in Salisbury and thereby hangs a tale.

1 Like

After my beloved CDS 3 was determined to be unrepairable, I went on a search for a CD transport that I could run through my NDX 2. I found a Pro Ject CD Box RS 2T. Made in Austria by the turntable folks. Iā€™m pretty amazed by it, itā€™s a keeper, and I just ordered the upgraded power supply from Pro Ject.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just tried the old Arcam Alpha 7SE plus into the NDX2 as a transport using the coaxial output, I couldnā€™t get the optical output to work for some reason. It sounded pretty good, though the Cambridge CX UHD Bluray as a CD transport via coaxial to the NDX2 is better in all regards - clarity, sound stage and tonal balance.

Indeed, a CD ripped as a WAV file on the UnitiCore and the same CD played through the CX UHD into the NDX2 via coaxial are pretty neck and neck. The Core has much better functionality for replay when using Roon. On the other hand, the CX UHD will play his-res music DVDs and blurays, and these sound even better than the same music on a CD, but again compatable with a hi-res WAV download on the Core.

The good news is I donā€™t have to buy any new gear :sunglasses: and can enjoy both formats.

1 Like

Yep good news

I keep chopping and changing my mind on streamers and really do I need one . I get the convenience and more music access pluses mind you

I played CDā€™s yesterday ( gave vinyl a miss ) and you know Mike they sounded pretty damn good through CD5XS/ nDAC /XPS-2 / SN3/HICAPDR

I have circa 1,200 CDs (ripped those into CORE in my little house down south)

I mean how much more music does one need when realistically whatever format, it all sounds great

3 Likes

So if I read the thread correctly Naim can currently repair a CDX2 but not a CDS3?

With the state of the world (and the UK!) in 2022, more than ever Iā€™d recommend only accepting answers to questions like that directly from Naim themselves.

Just because someone on this forum was told six months ago that a NAX232 could not be serviced but a NAX242 could doesnā€™t mean a thing today. The worldā€™s an unpredictable place for the time being.

Mark

[before anyone asks: yes, I did fabricate those model numbers as pure examples - Naim hasnā€™t started making a new range of kit!]

1 Like

NeilS has confirmed that Naim can currently service and repair CDS3ā€™s using the VAM 1202 mechanism. Hope I have got this right.

2 Likes