Cd boards

Hello, the intended CD player will be a cdx, I kind of understand why you suggest the tuner or tape input but it has always been my understanding that the best sound was from a simple pathway through the pre amp, hence the straight through boards, confused yep sure am.

You’ll get the same result (or slighty better) by using the Tuner input. Adding the 326 (link) boards just gives you an extra set of connections for the signal to go through before the input selector switch and buffers. The 326 boards (or 328 variable boards) were useful to add extra line level inputs if you needed them for additional sources.

A bit radical, but… Buy a later 72, which has a CD input, on a DIN - rather than the pair of BNC’s, on the 2nd Phono.

AFAIK, the 328 ‘CD’ boards are filtered and are variable level. I had a pair in my first (early type) 72.

1 Like

Hello not radical just common sense, a later cd input 72 is now what I am looking for I assume the cd input would be the best, regards Neil.

It will be ‘the same’ as using the Tuner input in the earlier 72 version… AFAIK… :thinking:

1 Like

Even my 1993 72 has a regular cd din input rather than the bnc type.
As others have said just buy the earlier type.
The 328 boards were for the earlier bnc input with earlier caps. .these 328 boards allowed gain changes and some top end filtering. But, most people would not push these now. Which is why dealers have a few of these boards left.

They weren’t too good either for SQ.

1 Like

I have heard that. A good idea best left in the early 90s perhaps?

1 Like

Yep. To be fair though some of the early CD players were shocking so the 328 boards were useful. How things have changed !

All the CD input means is that it’s a line input rather than phono. The tuner input is exactly the same. It just depends on whether having the knob pointed at ‘CD’ rather than ‘Tuner’ is important to you.

1 Like

I think you mean - buy the later type…

[V1 had 2 pairs of BNC’s; V2 had 1 pair of BNC’s, with the 2nd set replaced by a DIN.]

Yep. Later type. Although I think the earlier type were only the first 18 or so months of production. Most must be the later type.

1 Like

Hello and thank you all, I now understand regarding the input selection ie tuner or cd I was wrongly under the impression that all inputs other than the cd was attenuated, now I know the facts it’s of little concern what it says regarding the knobs position it’s all about the best sound quality, thank you all I can put this to bed and continue with my shopping list, thanks again everybody, no doubt I’ll be asking for help in the future, regards Neil.

2 Likes

Correct.

Also, when I first bought my olive 72 (pre CD logo), the dealer told me to use the tuner input for CD as this has the shortest signal path and best sound.

I don’t know the innards of a 72, never looked, so I can’t vouch for his advice ! :grin:

But my CD’s through the tuner input have sounded mighty fine for the last 30 years !

1 Like

Hello and thank you, all, advice taken on board, just wish I’d kept the first system but never mind all will eventually be sorted, regards Neil.

So, dins from right to left are cd, tuner, tape1 tape2.

This 72 has no phono boards, but the links are cut.
The cd links are not cut.

This should just be visible.

2 Likes

Hello thank you for photograph of the internal parts, I do believe I now have a firm understanding of the workings of the 72 preamp, thank you again. Neil.

Are you sure about that…? I can see what I think are links (Blue wire…?), where the Phono Boards would go. Must be because I can see the Grey wire going to the BNC’s, on the right hand side.

The CD input is wired to where the 2nd set of boards could go - you need to trace the wiring, by colour. There are no links shown.

I have checked this vs. my own similar era CD input equipped 72. I have zero links - on any of the 4 board positions - but I have Phono boards fitted (in the RH position in your photo above) - which work.

See photo of my 72 below (orientation as per yours):

No 72’s were harmed in taking this picture…

PS. This is plain wrong. See my Correction below… :blush:

The cd links are partly hidden by the stripy wires on my 72. The phono links that are on the BNC phono input are cut. Although there are no boards in this 72. I.e. that bnc input is useless, and it is. I had to put the MM boards from my other 72 in to get it to work.
I was looking for a pair of Nac Na326 boards, but they are hard to find. I’ll get the bnc input links remade when it goes to Darran next week.

If you were to fit 328 boards to your cd input, then you’d need to cut the links associated with that input.
I can see your cd links are intact, with your phono links cut ( and boards fitted)