CD Player for Naim 500 system

Back on topic, I would also consider a decent streamer that accepts the digital out of a cd player. I do this with an old Marantz CD67SE or Marantz UD7006 into an Auralic and it sounds pretty good. For CDs that I have not yet ripped the the Auralic SSD. That way you have the best of both worlds

My advice is to buy a Melco N10 music library, together with their D100 ripper, and to invest in Roon as your library management tool. Then just sit there ripping your CD collection while simultaneously hearing loads of forgotten music.
Make sure to backup your library frequently, to avoid ever having to rip it again.

1 Like

Solution:

TEAC VRDS-701T transport (image courtesy of TEAC)

About $2.5k

3 Likes

UnitiCore sounds the best. Stay away from poor imitators. Once your CD collection is ripped you are done. And you can explore the vast libraries on Qobuz and internet radio.

Streaming is fun.

2 Likes

So I had a CD555, 555PS DR, NAC552 DR and NAP500 DR. I’ve just traded the CD555 and. 555PS DR for a dCS Rossini Apex Player and Clock. A Player and Streamer that sounds significantly better than a CD or ND555 and might even come in under budget. Naim are fab, but not invariably the best option at any given price.

3 Likes

Try a dCS, e.g. Rossini, transport? I replaced my cds3 with a rossini player and I am very happy w the cdplayback.

2 Likes

TEAC suffers from poor distribution in UK but that looks :eyes: a cracker.

Yeah TEAC seems to be mainly Germany, Southeast Asia and spotty distribution in the US and UK. Though a UK dealer reviewed a TEAC turntable at home on YouTube and didn’t want to give it back. It’s a tough price point. Japanese brands at the real entry level can get into the msrket (Denon etc.) The high end also can break in. But the mid range of many hifi markets greatly favours domestic brands if they exist. And the UK is awash with superb local brands at just TEAC’s price bracket.

I took one look at that transport and was tempted to add it to my NDX. But one CD player is proving enough.

1 Like

Innuos Zenith Mk3 has got to be an option surely ?

• Available on the used market
  • HDD upgradeable
  • Rips CDs super fast
  • Ease of operation
  • Dedicated app (which is very good)
1 Like

Bryce_Curdy,
Thank you for your recommendation. I’ve not heard dcs Rossini, but your recommendation is always top of the line. Already committed to ND555 with two 555PS, I’m wishing for option that doesn’t begin with telephone number outlay. It would be nice if Naim could accommodate ND555 investors who owns loves troves of CDs and long to visit their shelves for treasures that mean something to them.

gav_sw20,
Thank you for list of highlights.
I’ve been hearing about Innuos Mk3 for while.
Need to see if I can find dealer on
mid-Atlantic.

1 Like

Just a thought…

The big advantage of a Core is that they are much better value second-hand and fit neatly with the Naim app. I have not compared SQ to an Innuos -I’d be surprised if I could hear any difference between them but ripping speed might be different (has anyone compared?).

An old CDS2 is also great of course, but these options are all in a different price bracket to a Rossini and its clock.

2 Likes

I may have said this before

As a transport , the CD5XS into the ND555

Either that or rip your CDs into the Core with Core into ND555

Both will have the benefit of the 555PS anyway

Keep it simple :+1:

NickofWimbledon,
Thank you for your thoughts.
Years ago I took oath to be chaste outside of Naim and decision was reciprocated, but few years ago I was guided to acquire Core and QNAP NAS, decent into file hell, maybe that’s harsh, but it’s system developed by someone who never organized anything, or never studied music. I’m shy about buying cd player from antiquity, though I would commit adultery for something young with possibility of future.

1 Like

Bevo,
I would love nothing more than having CD player that allows me to stream into my ND555 when it arrives.
In the end I’ll go back to ripping my CDs, but go find them? Art work is missing 50-60% of time, performers, conductors, composers are tossed into informational never never land. I previously gave up on Core and pledged my fidelity and allegiance to my CDS3 and now she’s moved on. I’ll hold on to my CDs for while and figure out how to live with streaming, I do love world wide radio classical broadcasts, but not being able to play my favorite classical performances is loss for now.

I’ve heard all of the competition: DCS, Aavik, Linn, Chord, etc. None hold a candle to the ND555, especially when powered with two 555 power supplies.

7 Likes

Good reasons…

1 Like

Chris,

Thank you for your input!
I’m not familiar with Aavik, but each of the others are considered gold standard, peer, or better than Naim ND555 X2PS. You’re suggesting that is not the case.

Your remarks are encouraging having deposited my money sight unseen and hoping for reasonable best. Do you have similar conclusion when streaming, or playing own ripped files, or playing purchased digital files?

I make a point to hear all of the competition and simply put none of them stir my heart or make my foot tap like a Naim source.

My experience:
UnitiCore makes the best CD rips.
A good audiophile switch like the English Electric is mandatory.
High End Ethernet cables like Chord Music make a difference.
Hi Res Downloads vary in quality, caveat emptor.
Qobuz sounds great and has tons of hi res content.
Internet radio is a great way to find new music: Radio Paradise, KCRW, etc.

5 Likes

Chris,
Thank you for your informed update.
Few questions:
You mentioned Chord Ethernet cable, is there specific cable you’ve had best outcome with? Have you auditioned or heard other Ethernet cables you’d suggest.
Regarding Core, have you found way to improve filing?