CD Players

But they do have a CD player. And,arguably, more than one if you include Uniti Star, for example.

Roger

2 Likes

Hi Peter like you I am technically below par. You have an absolutely top end vinyl, cd and streaming set up. Out of interest do you have the two 555ps on the nd555 or on the cd555 or do you switch the cables round so you always have two 555ps on cd or streamer! Thanks Richard

Fair comment, but what I’m suggesting is that the demise pf a CD player might be best treated as the trigger to switch to streaming, at least from your own stored music, initially ripping CDs just when wanting to play (e.g. rip one while playing something else). I think the days of CDs are numbered, which I guess is Naim’s reasoning behind the reduced options.

Certainly for me a dying CD player prompted me to make the switch (8 years ago now), and I’ve never had cause to regret it, indeed leading me to further sound quality improvements by changing DACs. I found the change simple and painless, though I did a bit of research first.

On the subject of CD players, does anyone have any issues with the new Pink Floyd Animals re mix?
I have bought it twice and neither can be read by my CD5Si. All other disks play perfectly, just get an error message all the time. Off to get the vinyl now

Good luck getting a satisfactorily playable Vinyl copy, it took me 3 attempts :man_shrugging:t2:
Many others on the forum, simply gave up.

No problems with the cd,I would have also bought the vinyl,however with all the comments about bad pressings,I think I’ll pass for now.

Richard

I’m not just technically below par, but lazy with it!! I have not switched the power supplies round and make do with a single PS to each device. I really do not like the idea of regularly switching cables round.

Peter

The crapping never stops OliveAmps

I’m with you :+1:

Yes, that’s why I went down the CD route !!

I stream about 70% of the time but I enjoy the music more when I listen to cds. Nothing to do with sq. It just feels more satisfying. Maybe it’s to do with owning the physical article.
Vinyl of course offers the highest level but these days it’s such a faff it only accounts for about 5% of my listening.

7 Likes

PS Audio are planning a new CD player for 2023/2024, so they have faith in the format.
Paul McGowan explains in his latest YouTube video.
I’ve not put a link to the video because I thought it would be classed as commercial.

It strikes me that whenever and however this possible Naim range update occurs they might provide a high end CD/streamer/pre a 372 or some such, then we will all be able to sleep at night😁

I added a Naim CD5XS to my collection last December. Through the NDAC and the Supernait 3, it sounds great. I also have a Marantz Pearl Lite connected to the Marantz 2275, which plays SACDs as well as CDs, plus two Oppos, a DDP-83SE and a 95, which can play Blu-Ray and DVD Audio discs in addition. The 83 is connected to the TV and the SN3, whilst the 95 is in the bedroom system. The Oppos are stunning players and it’s a crying shame that they stopped making them after a brief foray into 4K territory.

Also a crying shame that Naim never made an SACD player.

I’ve been ripping my CD collection to my Innuos Zen Mk 2, purely for convenience more than anything else, as the way I have my CDs stored makes them awkward to access.

4 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

They come in all flavours, I’ve got the BluRay and it sounds good in two channel

Agreed, but there are excellent SACD players out there

Naim’s CDS II decodes and plays 'HDCD discs (if anyone remembers those), although I never saw any ‘blurb’ from Naim announcing this. I was rather astonished when I loaded what I thought was a perfectly standard CD into the player and saw the display flashing ‘hdcd’ at me in green letters.

3 Likes

Same as my CD5X…never have compared the SQ of HDCD to Red Book as I don’t have duplicate CD’s in the different formats. Nice to have, though. I assume :thinking:

I think that I only have one HDCD-enabled CD and I don’t have an non-HDCD version of that particular CD (Shakira’s ‘Laundry Service’, which I bought because she’s a very sexy girl and I’m a very shallow male of the species), so I’ve never been able to carry out a comparison.

It’s not a big deal, just an amusing sidetrack. But I know that the player can do that little extra trick, so that’s fun.

Yes, it’s nice to see the HDCD flash up briefly on the CDS2. I have about 15 HDCD’s and they seem to sound weightier, better grounded, with a more cohesive sound. However, the difference is small and not worth making a fuss over.

I would not seek out a HDCD player, nor do I look for HDCD discs.

1 Like