CD Players

Not all are purely CD players though. In the same way as Naim ND products can be transports, DACs, or both, some high end makers are bridging the decline in CD usage in the same way.

All Luxman CD players now have multiple digital inputs to use as DACs. And of course the processing supports all hi res formats despite being a CD player.

1 Like

I would say yes, done properly ripped sounds better than CD.

As I have often mentioned here before I found a Raspberry Pi into Hugo made my CD555 redundant even though this broke my heart and I lost substantially when I moved it on.

.sjb

@c2photo
@Bluesfan

‘9 of the ‘TOP’ Naim Audio products of all time’

Mr. Vereker makes exceedingly good Naits…

1. Naim 32/Snaps/250 power amp (1984)
  2. Naim Nait 1 power amp (1983)
  3. Naim ARO tonearm (1989)
  4. Naim CD5si (2012)
  5. Naim ND555/555 PS DR (2018)
  6. Naim NA SBL floorstanders (1986)
  7. Naim Supernait 3 (2019)
  8. Naim NAC-N 272 (2015)
  9. Naim Statement Series NAC S1/NAP S1 (2014)

Everyone has a story and that was Becky Scarrot’s story.

Note, the key word in the title is top. Replace it with ‘BEST’, then you have another list.

At the height of Naim’s empire, entering the 21st century, Naim was manufacturing some amazing gear.

And yes, the CDS3 was their best CDP @ that point. Of Course, they tried to improve on that deck and in 2007 Naim debut it’s CD555!

I can’t recall this very moment, but paraphrasing an audio reviewer:

" When considering buying hi-fi gear, there are two choices for those who take music seriously. The best, and very close to the best for a lot less!"

Clearly Naim’s CDS3 exemplifies the former. If I’m not mistaken it entered the market in the neighborhood of $10K without Power supplies.

To the Bluesfan point, a ‘BARGAIN’ if someone is looking to replace a CDP whilst streaming from Naim’s best streamer.

You guys asked for an ND555, and you got!

Guessing $20K

In the meantime:

Enjoy Your Music!

The Why.

Allante93.

No NAT 01 ?

Indeed as a card carrying Luddite , I mourn the fact that there is not a dedicated tuner in the current Naim range, but if cd players are declining then tuners have fallen through the floor

I still use my CDS / CDPS most days such an analogue player I certainly wouldn’t part with it.
Surprised it wasn’t on the list of the previous post .

Regards,

Martin

2 Likes

I would imagine the author of that article, was thinking top.

Speakers 1986 SBLs

SL2, DBL, Ovators

By the time that particular CDP came around 2012:

CDS3, CDX2, CD555 (2007)

Perhaps Naims Top was related to sell’s as opposed to performance.

But once again, that was his story at What hi fi, :thinking:!

@Ian2001
And yes, I was thinking about a nice Tuner during this lock down.

Just Installed a rooftop Yagi antenna.

1 Like

I have since sold on my CD player (CD5XS) and rely on streaming these days. I agree ripped CDs sound as good, if not better than CD replay.

There is still something to be said for playing CDs on a quality player. CD replay is very much plug and play whereas streaming although convenient, requires a lot of faff to get up and running (good switch & ethernet cables, Qobuz/Tidal subscription, Roon, Melco, NAS or Core, etc.).

While I’m fully into streaming a pre-loved CD player would be a nice to have. I still have all my CDs and can’t see myself parting with them.

1 Like

Hi @bongoman, I enjoyed your post and found it helpful.

Reading my old posts I seem to look a bit opinionated but I appreciate everyone’s patience. I also look set in my ways but posts in this thread have been good advice and educational.

Don’t think I’ll rip CD’s yet as I enjoy picking 2 or 3 for an evening concert and its good to have to listen to them in full. My car rips CD’s and I have a bad habit of skipping if the next racks a favorite.

But I am going to save up for a streamer and I spend enough each month on CD’s to pay for a subscription. I listen mainly to pre 2000 classical and hopefully someone like Tidal has a comprehensive catalogue from this era. If the SQ is good and I hide the iPad I might get used to it and boldly go where most people have been for a long time.

When funds are available (!) I’ll see what people recommend. And ignore the suggestions I should just get a 552.

2 Likes

I want a NEW cd player not a used one and if i have to look elsewhere for one maybe it will not stop here.My point is if naim stop to "look after me"like it did in the past probably it will be easy to look elsewhere.

Hi @leni

I get your point, there is also a hot thread about discontinuation of the 272 without a replacement.

Get a cd5si. There is bugger all inside. Transport , power supply, box of cleverness. That’s it. All supportable well into the future. And, here is the best bit. No temptation with external power supplies or DACs. It is plug and play. Nothing to tweak, except perhaps interconnects. Ok, so perhaps not the last word in that 40 year old technology. But not far off. New price? I paid £900 for mine just before lockdown.

3 Likes

It is not about my personal cd pleyer(by the way i own a CDX 2.2).It is about the fact that the family like relations between NAIM and US are becoming slowly one sided.

Ah. Understood. I too work for. French company. And I know what having french masters is like. Its all about them. I expect our friends in Salisbury feel the same way.

When this lock down is over I’m going to have a serious conversation with somebody who knows…so ripping CDs to a Uniti…get a streaming box or get a CDS to replace my CDI…its all a bit daunting and confusing at the moment… :thinking: :confused:

1 Like

luxman announced a new cd player D-10X 15000 GBP.

And there was a more budget friendly one at £2499 within the last twelve months

I think streaming is not as prevalent in Japan as in the UK ?

I notice that manufacturers from Yamaha to Pioneer to Luxman all have £2000 plus models , all have serious hifi pedigrees

1 Like
  1. I cannot tell the difference between CDs on a Chord Blu2 DAVE and ripped CDs played through Chord Blu2 DAVE. I can tell ripped CDs played through a Linn KDSM from those played the Chord Blu2 DAVE. The Chord giving a better illusion of the real thing - both are excellent though and improve upon the CDX2 I used to use. I prefer CDs played on Chord Blu2 DAVE to Naim CDPs (CDS3/CD555), probably because of its improved WTA upscaling & custom Pulse Array DAC or maybe it is simply my personal preference; they are all highly enjoyable: I’d be happy using any of them.

2. I dislike CD Jewel Cases and much prefer LP sleeves. However, I have dumped most of these Jewel Cases and keep my CDs and accompanying booklet in a thin plastic wallet. I find CD booklets hard to read when the print is so small. However recent CD boxsets by Gentle Giant, Steve Hillage and the Beatles are wonderful.

I like having LPs and CDs, but have no great love of books so the house is almost book free - they are all on the Kindle. I’d sooner listen to music or a radio play than read a book any day. Again personal preference - Kindle is much easier to read as I can enlarge the print.

I’m happy to have music as a download, CD or on vinyl. It is music first - format second every time.

Now this was a great CDP

1 Like

Yes, another new one LUXMAN D03X 3500 GBP.

1 Like

In response to your first question, some years ago I had a CD5XS into nDAC with XPS. For fun initially, I tried ripping some of my CDs into iTunes on a spare MacMini and ran it headless via optical output into the DAC. To my surprise the latter sounded better. The improvement was subtle but worthwhile and started me on the journey to a full streaming setup.

Roger

A three box cd player a four box pre a two box power.CRAZY.

1 Like