CD Ripping - SQ Differences across Rippers

Well, I thought I should return with final conclusions and course of action.

A nod to CrystalGipsy’s remark above - I confess that when I compared rips from mk1 and mk3 models a couple days later, during the day, I was hard-pushed to detect the differences I thought I’d detected previously. Certainly not to the degree I thought I’d originally heard them. Perhaps tiredness/stress had an effect; I don’t know. My A/B methodology changed a little - I reduced the length of track I used to compare. Originally it was about 25 seconds; next time round it was around 15. Maybe with less to hold in audio memory my perception was more accurate? What’s not in doubt, though, is I feel pretty embarrassed in making this admission, but there it is.

Anyhow, I bought the Buffalo optical drive and ripped straight into my Melco. I
can’t detect any difference between that rip and the rips from the Mk1 and Mk3 machines. So the Mk3 is now up for sale.

Thanks everyone who contributed above. The most useful piece of information I can leave behind is that the Buffalo drive is an excellent ripping machine and Melco told me it wasn’t so very far from the D100.

2 Likes

Please don’t feel embarrassed, we all enjoyed contributing to it, and we are always learning

2 Likes

Thanks, GadgetMan. Much appreciated. Brain surgery has been looming for my partner over this period - she had it today - so it’s possible my (slightly out of sorts) mind maybe played tricks on me, I guess. Goes to show how one’s psychological state might influence listening…

1 Like

All the best to you two! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I wish you both all the best, and here’s looking to Christmas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.