CD Sales rise by 47%

I have found it easy to disconnect from physical media based music as Qobuz seems to have most things covered. But I then miss the data provided to me by physical media - sleeve notes etc - which connect me to the musicians and the composer/recording engineer etc which add a lot more to my listening pleasure. At 73 and listening/collecting since the mid 60s I have a very good knowledge of music and musicians so don’t need Roon for example. I prefer looking up reviews of classical recordings via the Gramophone database and using Discogs for info. like LP edition pressing information but each to his/her own I guess.

4 Likes

Seriously impressed with your collection , I think the latest Pro-Ject CD transport looks a serious bit of kit - ideal for those with a digital amplifier of decent quality DAC

It’s entirely possible to buy CDs or even vinyl for the booklets and cover, and still listen on Qobuz or rip the CDs

1 Like

I can never understand why people value the crappy bit of paper that comes wedged into a ‘jewel’ case with your average CD. In the early days they were often just LP sleeves reduced down to illegibly small dimensions, but they didn’t improve much as CDs took over.
If you want info you have the world at your fingertips via the artists web pages, Wikipedia, Discogs etc. etc. OK, there are links to some of this stuff via Roon or the Naim app, but that hardly seems necessary when your remote control also runs a web browser.

It depends on the album. Yes they are small, but well-made sleeves can be nice, I like them as well. It just doesn’t mean that one needs s CDP to enjoy them. And it may be worth keeping in mind that the info on Discogs etc. is usually what people copied off CD/vinyl packaging

So you would spend a tenner on a CD just for the booklet! After I ripped mine I used them as firelighters for the woodburner.

Why not, if I like the album and the band. I usually don’t anymore because of space reasons (CD shelf is full) and because I buy the vinyl if I want a physical copy and maybe a download if the music is really important to me, but I see nothing wrong with wanting the CD. Everyone is lamenting the poor payouts of streaming, anyway.

In any case, this was not really my point. I was just saying that those who do like the physical CD (whether you agree or not) don’t necessarily need a CDP for that

I’ve never liked CDs. Irrational perhaps.

I’m quite sad however to see them now as valueless waste along with DVDs and I guess VHS/Betamax tapes prior to that.

I was looking to book a ‘slot’ at the local ‘recycling’ centre today and was amazed to find a Saturday only 9am-3pm ‘mobile recycling facility’ with no booking required. Garden waste, wood, hard plastics, metal were accepte along with CDs/DVDs and books. CDs/DVDs and books just made me think ‘what a waste’.

2 Likes

Yes, but so are the computers that are used for streaming, local and remote. What’s better on balance depends on many factors

I have a cd based system and to be honest it gives a stellar performance. Cd reproduction on a good cd system is incredible. Still buying CDs on a weekly basis, streaming is not all it’s cracked up to be. Most people have difficulty struggle to hear the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit. Good news cd sales are up along with players.

6 Likes

i
like to skip tracks which i can do with a cd. i have cds that have only a few tracks i like.
for example i only like the Elvis rock and country material.

2 Likes

Do you have any evidence that sales of either CDs or CD players are increasing?

There has been plenty of articles in the media recently, not a huge increase admittedly but the decline has stopped. People are preferring to own physical media especially amongst the young.
A search for cd sales will yield results I remain a cd supporter. Also why would some manufacturers still be making them along with new models from big companies?

3 Likes

It’s the first post on this thread .

Elsewhere I read yesterday that last year Adele counted for 2% of CD sales

1 Like

when cd box sets are deleted. they become very expensive on Ebay. for example
Mosaic and Bear family box sets.

i have the box set of the Elvis sun issues. the sound is brilliant also they have included
unissued tracks. also a very good booklet. it helps that i have the Naim cd player.

3 Likes

CD players continue to be produced. Both high end and entry level can still be found by various manufacturers. Naim only offers one unfortunately, and most older models will need laser mechs at some point. Based on the vast number of CDs produced there will always be a market for players.

3 Likes

I still buy CDs but only to rip to my UnitiServe. There are many bargains out there especially pre-loved CDs in great condition.

I wonder what % of CD sales are for CD players vs ripping to servers?

4 Likes

Elsewhere I read yesterday that last year Adele counted for 2% of CD sales

She didn’t in my house!

1 Like

No it isn’t. There is no information to support this claim, and the figures published by the RIAA show a clear annual decline with a partial recovery from an anomalous low in 2020.