CD Transport or CD5si

Naim can repair laser mechs on the CDS3. I have been enjoying mine for a week now. It is a major improvement over the Cyrus CDi that it replaced. Top notch service from Naim/Focal N. America!

1 Like

The offer of a weekend loan of both a CD5si & a 6000CDT has been made by a dealer, so I will try both and see which way to go.

3 Likes

I’d be interested to see how it goes. Let us know. :slightly_smiling_face:
Regards

2 Likes

Hi
I have a CD5SI feeding into a Supernait 3 and use the PMC 25 23s
I have to say that with a well mastered CD the sound exceeds my expectations.
Best to audition if you can, but I do now believe there is a distinct Naim synergy with their DIN connected boxes

1 Like

I would be very interested to hear of your views

1 Like

I have to respectfully disagree. I just took delivery of an Audiolab today and the build quality exceeds my expectations. It’s very solid. Much more so than the Rega Apollo.

I’d wager it sounds better too. I’m running it into a Qutest with 62/hc/135/SL2s. Unfortunately I don’t have the Apollo any more so I can’t do an A:B comparison.

It’s early days. I’ve only listed to a few genres and I tend to like what I hear with new boxes at first. That said, the Audiolab is outstanding.

3 Likes

How did it go, really would like your views.

Ian

I’ve just purchased a Audiolab CDT6000 and can highly recommend it, I run it through my NDX2.

4 Likes

It’s quite a bit of kit for the money.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried Jay’s Audio Transports?

On paper they certainly look good, but i am a bit wary as to how they are continuing to source and use Phillips cd mechanisms for their products….surely this can’t continue forever? Looking at the uk dealer website it talks about having stockpiled mechanism’s, but i would still want some guarantee how long they can service a £5 k transport.

Sure is, so far it’s living up to its reputation.

2 Likes

Over here its £399……which is not a lot at all.

It’s just under a $1k here (it’s been reduced from $1,100, there’s cheaper CD transports but I doubt they’d be as good.

1 Like

Can a transport exhibit the house sound of a particular brand? Or is a particular house sound more attributable to the DAC?

That’s a good question mine just seems to create a bit more detail but I haven’t spent enough time with it to confirm one way or the other.

1 Like

In my experience the DAC’s characteristics come through more than the transport, but that’s just with a handful of combos. I’m curious what other people hear.

Day 2 with the Audiolab: it’s the real deal.

1 Like

I’d also disagree, I’ve recently purchased a Audiolab CDT6000 and was surprised how solid it is. While it’s not a Naim it’s considerably cheaper and imo offers good value.

Buy the way although I’ve only had a few days it’s worked perfectly.

1 Like

A big plus is that it’s not reassuringly expensive :sunglasses:

2 Likes