CD Transport or CD5si

You are right Pete. Didn’t know really why I attacked the Audiolab……Don’t bother. I agree for the flatcap , it’s overpriced ! ( or look overpriced)

1 Like

Paul Rigby has just done a review of the half width Heed Thesis CD transport

At £2,800 (ish) it looks the part and the price , but as he says transports at this price are few and far .

I should say this is the sort of product I wish Naim had built
the Audiolab is very , very good at it’s price point and Rigby rates it 10/10

5 Likes

Indeed…one of the important differences between a Hicap and a Supercap, is that the latter has a larger (and more expensive chassis) that allows the noisy bits to be separated from the quiet bits, that in a Hicap are pretty much jammed together.
Years ago, one brave individual relocated the transformer of a CD2 outside of the main box, and reported a substantial improvement.

1 Like

At least that one is full like an egg :grin: ( “ plein comme un œuf “, the french expression).

1 Like

It would be, its in a half size box.

1 Like

Ron, I hope that wasn’t the one that arrived in the service dept. With the transformer in a biscuit tin…

7 Likes

Well, if Linn can put a turntable chassis in a fruitbox, why not put a CD2 transformer in a biscuit tin.
The chances it is the one-and-the-same molested CD2 are very high. Not all DIY are created equal…I would say it was a decent idea improperly implemented.
DIY rule #2…know what you cannot or should not DIY!
There is no #1.

Just as well you never looked inside one of these tuners very little inside but did it sound good.

1 Like

Hardly surprising when you consider the same basic tuner could also be found in one of these (and very good it was too);

Image from Zstereo.

2 Likes

Richard, I saw and heard the Edinburgh tuner at the home of the late Richard Hay whilst listening to his Nytech Linn Isobarik active system source was an LP12,Grace arm and Supex cartridge stunning system indeed.

2 Likes

Some of the best sound I ever got from a home system was when we hooked up the Nytech in an upstairs of very solid old brick building overlooking the Old Course in St. Andrews (it was in the Royal and Ancient Golf Club…another story) listening to live broadcasts on Radio 3, circa 1980, when R3 had several MHz bandwidth, instead of circa 0.25MHz currently. Speakers were KEF Concordes and the illusion of being there at a live performance was entirely complete. We had many complimentary pints of Belhaven listening to that system.

3 Likes

I’ve owned both Audiolab 6000CDT and Pro-Ject CD Box DS2 T, I could not hear any clear differences among them, both produced wonderful sounds paired to my Qutest via Lifatec Toslink. Functionality wise both flawless too, no skips or read failures. The display on the Pro-ject could be an issue for some, but a blessing for those not wanting to wear their reading glasses.

4 Likes

Thank you, a very useful comment

1 Like

The cd5si is a super disc spinner long may it continue and be supported. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I recently bought one on eBay to try it out and quite amazed at how well it performs. I have it going to a Qutest>SN3 and haven’t been streaming of late.

1 Like

I own a CXC. It’s in my home system connected to a CXA61 integrated. Very nice CD player, well made and sounds great. My Naim system is at work so I haven’t been able to put it side-by-side with my CD5si/Supernait 3/HiCap DR. However I am very happy with both systems. My dealer also recommended the Audiolab CD transport when I was considering the CXC, but the slot CD insertion turned me off–I want a drawer.

2 Likes

A bit less than the cost of a CD5si , but top loaded

3 Likes

Anybody have any experience with the new Cyrus CDi XR or CDt XR models as I am thinking about upgrading to a very good transport?
The standard CDi and CDt models get good professional reviews.
Also you can upgrade these with external power supplies.

These new XR models are, well, very new. I have colleagues who have loved the previous version from Cyrus. And, if i were after a CDT, it would be up there for me to try. Couldnt work out if the trsnsport only can take the new PSU upgrade or not.

Appreciate the XR models are very new and your feedback on previous cyrus models is helpful, i guess i should have asked for feedback on cyrus trsnsports more broadly.
Since my previous post i have found a cyrus CD Xt Signature ex demo for 1700 AUD less than a new CDt XR so considering and checking out that model.
Many thanks for your reply.