CD Transport Recommendations

Another vote for Audiolab 6000 CDT!

Another vote for the project. Uses the stream unlimited mechanism that is in the aqua and several other very expensive transports. Can also be upgraded with an LPS. I found it a huge step up from the cheap audio lab one I had before

1 Like

I’ve got the cyrus cdt which is very good. It replaced a Project cd transport and was a significant step up

Many thanks to everybody for their recommendations.
After online reviewing over the last three days and talking to dealers today I have shortlisted the following so far for demo’s: Moon CDT260D, Cyrus CDT-XR and Jays Audio CDT2 Mk 3, the Project RS2 nearly made it but its top loading mechanism won’t work with the 200mm height I have in my AV Rack.
The Moon I can demo locally in Perth but the Cyrus and Jays Audio dealers are in Melbourne so will have to wait till my next trip there in a couple of months to demo them before I choose which one to get.
Really appreciate all the help and advice provided.

6 Likes

Let us know, as and when, how it goes.

1 Like

Very interested to know how you get on.
Do share your thoughts along the way.

Good luck
R

Be interested in your demo review. The Jays audio transport looks very good, my only concern is it uses a Philips mechanism which has not been made in over a decade. Where do they source them from, and what length of time can they guarantee to be able to replace it for you.

Best of luck.

Project for me too - always liked the look of that player. Top loaders are the way to go IMHO. I’m rather fond of the EXPOSURE XM CD PLAYER too. Another solid top loading player. And I’m with @Nick1940 regarding Jays Audio - I am a long time fan of these. One day… :heart_eyes:

I read somewhere that they went with this mech because they believe it’s the best available. Long r&D project and listening tests etc. The info as to why they chose that mech is out there somewhere - of course I can’t find right now though :thinking: You’ll have to keep searching google.

But get this. If the Mech does break down, they will send you a new mech which is user replaceable at home. No special skills needed. I think I’d just buy a spare mech at point of purchase - I think they want about £350 for a new mech…could be wrong about that figure though. Worth checking out though.

3 Likes

I just looked at their UK dealer website and they do mention they stockpiled hundreds of mechanisms……so that should be OK.

3 Likes

Nice one @Gazza :+1:

Yes, I’m a little concerned about replacement mechanisms too. The dealer advised me today that they have a very large quantity of mechanisms stockpiled so not really an issue, however, nobody knows how many they have and thus how quickly they will use them all up.
I was also advised that these particular mechanisms are very reliable, but as we know lasers can fail.
It is a bit of a gamble in that respect, but on the other hand who knows how long any particular manufacturer might still stay in business for, to supply spares for their equipment.
My current CD player is still going strong after 10 years so if I can get that sort of life out of it I would be happy with that, if parts were not available at that time. It’s happened to me before with no longer getting lasers for high end Denon DVD players.

1 Like

The is another option for CD playback, that being the Whest Audio Mastering Buffer.
I have no idea about it’s performance, just recall member on here (SPS916) talking highly and of it in his very classy system

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.