CD5 SX Question

I have my new NAIM CD5 XS and am wondering if laser diode turns off if there is no disc in the tray? I leave my NAIM gear on all the time as I have difficulty reaching the rear power switch. It is just easier. Am I doing the correct thing? Or should I not worry if the laser diode is on all the time?

Warm regards,

Paul.

Loving Angela Hewitt’s Bach Box Set. Thank you to the Naim forum member who recommended these CD’s.

Paul - the laser diode in the optical head is only on when it’s reading a disc during playback. No problems with leaving the player powered up.

1 Like

Thanks James, Happy Days. I can relax now.

Warm regards,

Paul.

The reason Naim put switches on the back of many of their boxes is that they are not intended to be switched off regularly.

2 Likes

I usually leave a disc in my player at all times for added protection of the lens from dust. Works a treat and will not harm the player in anyway.

1 Like

Hello Stephen,

Will the laser turn off with a disc inside please?

Warm regards,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I’m no expert on these things but I would of thought that the laser optics only get to work once you have made a command and the disc is actually spinning? Once the player has read the disc it will stop and do nothing until you press play, it’s no different to having no disc in the tray to start with. I have never had any problems with leaving the disc in the tray. It will be fine and will not have any wear on the mech itself whilst in stationary mode. I have owned three Naim CD players from new over the last 20+ years and I have never had any problems with leaving the disc in the tray. Mind you, in the old players, the pucks had rubber looped feet on them and these tended to squash over a long period of time and this could cause the disc to skip or not load at all, but having two or more pucks and then alternating their use usually cured things. With your CD5 XS, the squashed feet on the puck is not an issue as there aren’t any. FWIW - I have an original CD5i (2006) here since new, still with it’s original puck in situ and the player runs effortless & faultless.

1 Like

The laser won’t be on unless the disc is playing. Leaving one stationary in there is not going to affect laser life although as Steven suggests, will provide some additional dust protection.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.