CD555 Broken Spindle Cover (again)

Well done @Diver41.

I think good to ensure flagged to @Richard.Dane & @NeilS

I’m sure many of us with CD555s cannot comprehend how it requires a new mech just because a cheap bit of plastic fails = and it seems some owners have had this happen a couple of times or more, perhaps denuding stocks for some of us with original mechs.

1 Like

So it would seem that the part is easily available
Why do naim insist on changing the whole laser mechanism then?
Why don’t they just buy a few dozen from the US

I’ve asked Naim to investigate further.

3 Likes

Richard - do you want the url for the website where I got it from?

Thanks Clive. I found it was available from Encosystems. is that the one?

Yes, that’s it. It’s not clear whether they actually are getting new stock or have bought up old stock. If the former it’s very odd that they aren’t available in Europe given Phillips’ location.

Yes that’s it although I was warned not to buy a spare full CDPro Drive as NAIM modifiy them
and this version would not be “authorised” replacement if used as such.
The good point raised before here as I recall, NAIM only carry one spare 555 Drive unit complete for each player sold.
With this Plastic part requiring ( for the life of me something I’ll never figure out???) a full Drive replacement–and going by the responses many here have had the broken part and have had full mechanisms replaced unnecessarily(?) hence chances of a new one when second unit fails is virtually nil if the Drive allocation is correct–some one misses out.

They could be left with an expensive boat anchor to join the likes of Musical Fatality and Orelle!

We urge NAIM to buy up a number of these “spare” CD Pro Centering hubs thereby saving the precious mechanisms for the party faithful :innocent:

Hear our voice,
D41

2 Likes

Just to finish this thread - the “centring hub” arrived from Enco Systems - just before Christmas. In a few seconds, it was clipped on and I was back in business. :grinning:

Still waiting to hear back from my Naim deal re servicing slots in the New Year. But at least there is no longer the urgency.

It would be nice if Naim could also get there hands on a few of these spares. Especially if there is any chance to break again…

1 Like

Hi Gavin, we can hope that Richards feeds this info back to HQ :+1:t3: ATB Peter

Peter, I have done so, and will leave it with them…

3 Likes

Hope Naim haven’t binned the drive mechs that could’ve been saved with this replacement part. Maybe they’ve just been put to one side instead…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.