Cd5si comes last

Not recommended to have both active it messes up the earth and signal path.
Just pick one.
You can leave the other lead but that’s just messy and unnecessary.
In my system I use Linn Silver interconnects between my Urika and S3 and my CD5si and S3 no need to swap about just pick one or the other but I found the RCA much better all round.
I found the RCA much more clearer and louder the din went deaf when I try it back.
No good
Lots must miss out the quality of this CDP if they don’t at least try it it’s bound to be about a free try as even cheap RCA leads show easily.

1 Like

I only once ever heard a CD player sounding '‘dull’. It was a Mission adaptation of a Phillips. EVERY other CD player (that I have heard) sounded ‘sharp’. There might very well be something fundamentally wrong in.

I had a demo of the CD5si at Cymbiosis and I didn’t take to it. I thought it sounded dull and boring. The amp was supernait 3 and the speakers were Spendor A2. Maybe not a balanced system, not sure but it wasn’t for me. Just my opinion.

1 Like

So I will chose the RCA and store the DIN for other opportunities…
Should I leave the CDP setting intact?

Not sure what you mean.
But yes just use the RCA if preferred and leave the output settings on the CDP output at 00.

I have a Supernait 3 and CD5si with Kudos X3 and the only it isn’t is dull or boring.
I got mine from Peter too.
And I don’t use dins they are dull and boring.
IMHO

Actually it was Wain that did the demo and the system was turned off when we went into the dem room, that might account for the sound quality but I didn’t like what I was hearing. It was connected using din lead.

That explains a lot.
I was quite chuffed when I first fired mine up but when I changed to leads to match the rest of the system it was wow.
You can hear it easily at low volumes but when you turn it up it’s even more obvious.

1 Like

:+1::pray:t2:

1 Like

I must ask - before you chose your Kudos, what else did you consider?
I am now considering- neat, proac, chario and kudos… with XS2 which will be upgraded to SN3 later on

Hi
I previously used Linn 109s I’d been used to Linn Kans and then Tukans then the 109s.
I fancied a bit more oomph and after much homework decided on the super simplicity and high quality components of Kudos Speakers.
I originally thought X2 or X3 and after a jolly listen at home the X3s were the ones and I love them. :heart_eyes:
Well worth seeking out as a bargain Kudos discontinued them in favour of the now Super 20s quite a price hike.
Great speakers though. :+1:t2:

More than worth a try.

If you can indulge an added thought after a little time thinking about it…

I’m very much of the idea that the RCA Heimdall cable was giving a proper amount of musical information to the XS2 amp.
This was ok for the amp to handle properly at low levels, but after some volume whack things took a sharp take downwards with the XS2 running out of breath and strength to keep up and hold things together.
With an upgrade to a SN2 this situation should take a sharp exit left to the side door and perhaps negate any differences between RCA &DIN.

Hi TOBYJUG
Very fair of you to add some thoughts and in a way I was thinking the scenario you voiced may have been more of the running out of steam situation.
I’ve no signs of that with Supernait 3 and can’t really see why I would want to add any other power supply to it this as it has all the power with headroom I need in a domestic environment.
After box collecting for years I’ve found that less is more. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

So, does it bring the CD5 up to the standard of the rest of the sources?

First impression is that it does make it more lively.
Will have to wait for next weekend for better listening. Promise to update :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I’m highly skeptical about this RCA vs DIN “debate”. My experience is that the DIN connection between my NDX and 52 is superior in every way to RCA. That’s not to say I’m rubbishing opinions. I think there is more to it than that. I would argue that there are many variables that are being ignored such as age, type and combination of components/connectors. And of course personal preference.

1 Like

Supernait 3

CD5si

Both new out the box

Was going to adapt all my system to din to match the preferred connectivity.

With the Din straight out of the box great well pleased with my new combo.

Everything in my system was previously connected RCA as per previous combo.

I was planning to have my Klimax LP12 dismantled to change to Naim Din connectivity.

Thought why not compare as it’s all just in so got a set of freebie quality RCA from the bits drawer and hey presto it was much more of everything detail and gain.

It cost nothing to try there is no sales pitch I just though if this is the improvement I got I should share it for others to try as they might be missing out and agree.

More fool me for doing the forum friendly thing for others.

Just try it.

Don’t waste time arguing just use your ears.

1 Like

Despite the focus here on the DIN/RCA debate, I still think that likely much more significant is the positioning of the CD player on top of the amp. The OP seemed to imply that was the case earlier in the thread but has not responded on the issue.

1 Like

I did. And being forum friendly, shared my thoughts :wink:

2 Likes