CD5si

Well my wife has just noticed that after spending nearly 10K on my upgraded HiFi I no longer have a CD player for the grandkids CD’s …oh really I said …technology has moved on and it’s the way forward I said.
Anyway I used to have a Meridian 604 24bit which sounded very nice indeed. I guess the performance of the CD5si would be close if not better in terms of sound quality ??
Don’t want to spend loads of money, as I am happy streaming from my NEW NDX2
Barry

Get something relatively cheap and use the digital out into the NDX2.

1 Like

What about ripping the grandchildren’s CDs? That’s what I did for our son. There is one downside though. He now wants his own Muso QB. He’s 6, and he started demanding his Muso a year ago…

3 Likes

HAHA class
Issue I have is my wife is not technical and all she will be able to do is press power / press input and press play and turn the volume up…providing she puts a disk in first that is .
Was thinking a basic CD like the Naim CD5si was the potential way forward.

LOL – point taken. The day before yesterday, my wife tried teaching her mother WhatsApp (well, the Korea version). The emphasis is on “tried”…

2 Likes

She will have to learn to open the swing tray…put on the Naim magnetic puck…and close the tray herself…if you chose the 5si

1 Like

High praise indeed for the 5Si. A superb player and i’m sure everyone in your family, including your good self, will thoroughly enjoy listening to it. I shan’t be giving my one up anytime soon. Simple to use and performs consistently with all genres of music. I’ve had a CD3, CD5i, CD5 italic and 5Si, with 5Si for me easily being the best one so far.

Cheers mate
Whats the SQ like ??
I know Naim dont say anything like …its 24bit or whatever
B

Personally, I don’t think it’s that far behind a ND5 XS 2. Smaller soundstage, more upfront and slightly rougher around the edges, but it’s the way it renders the music that I find so enjoyable. Maybe you can home trial one from your dealer?

2 Likes

Great idea
Cheers

Just ask your grandkids to show you how Spotify works, they won’t want to bother with CDs :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You are not wrong :joy::joy::joy: and she is only two yrs old

1 Like

The start of my Naim journey was a CD5si a few years ago matched with a Nait 5si. It was a lovely combination. When I came to sell it on I didn’t loose much either as I bought it as a hardly used demo and made a saving there. SQ of CD5Si is very good and I love the build quality with the pull out tray and puck. It’s a lovely process of putting a CD on.

Moved on since with a lovely but much older CDS2 with XPS.

It all depends.on what you want but I got a few years of real enjoyment from my CD5Si.

2 Likes

A cheap DVD player by Sony for less than $40 new should take care of the kiddies, shouldn’t it?

I admit I had one and liked it for the money. For me, the CD5XS/ X is worth the $ above the CD5i/si, if it is for you to listen to critically.

IMHO.

Nick

1 Like

Nick, with apologies to Barry, I’m hoping you bought that CD5XS that you had on home dem.

C.

1 Like

I’ve fired my CD5Si up today. What a stonkingly musical machine it is. Feet are tapping, arms are swinging and face is grinning. What more could anyone ask for. This is a seriously good machine. Period! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Any machine that can make the truly dire Bryan Adams even vaguely listenable must have magical powers!

5 Likes

You’re right of course. Now for something much more fitting & illustrious. Don’t worry, my ND5 XS 2 beneath is turned off!

1 Like

Its a fantastic machine, however the NDX2 is way better…so far
B

1 Like

Yup, my ND5 XS 2 is way better too. The CD5Si just surprises me every time I fire it up with it’s musicality, yes it’s rougher & cruder than my streamer but good fun nevertheless.

1 Like