CDS2 dead (again) options....?

Hi

My beloved CDS2 never played all of my CDs. The performance has been deteriorating to the point that it now hardly plays anything (ERR message, stuttering etc). I sent it in to the Naim distributor in Germany, who, for 100€ could tell me that the laser is ok, and they cannot do anything else for the player :frowning_face:

Can Naim HQ still repair this wonderful machine?

Second option, i thought, having the NDAC already, would be to use the XPS (olive) from the CDS2 on it, and find a second hand CD5XS with digital output. How would this compare to the CDS2? Anyone have any experience?

Regards
Matt

@NeilS may be able to advise on what’s possible at the factory with regard to the CDS2.

My cds2 had a new laser fitted last December at Naim HQ after “err” messages and skipping all over the place, and so far, all is good. Hope you can get yours working again, it really is a wonderful, engaging machine.

Hi Richard,

Yes we can still replace the laser assembly & service the CDS2.

Regards
Neil.

4 Likes

I was under the impression that replacements for cds2 lasers have been unavailable for some time. Please clarify as I have a cds2
David

Hi David,

The VAM1205 in its entirety is unavailable, however we are able to replace just the laser pick up assembly.

Regards
Neil.

@NeilS, can the VAM1205 from a cd3.5 be transplanted by Naim into a cds2? I have both players and am minded to keep the cd3.5 just so I can rob the mech if/when needed.

Hi Graeme,

In theory the parts are interchangable, whether that is something we would undertake would need to be discussed with the Head of Service (Mark Bonner).

Regards
Neil.

Thanks @NeilS, it’s academic at the moment having recently had mine repaired at Naim, but useful to know.

I tried 3 different transports and Mr Kehler from Musicline tried a new laser - he said it was a more serious problem than that- with a new laser, my CDS2 was still as picky :frowning: .

Can Naim still change the LM324N chips and the TDA7073ATs ? They are surface mounts, so don’t have the capability to do that myself.

Is there any way for me to send my CDS2 to Salisbury directly? Musicline in Germany, was a disaster - they refused to send it back to UK saying it was not worth it.

Hi nap90,

We have the 7073s but I’m not sure about the 324s, I’ll look into that for you.

As for logistics, I would contact Tech Support on that one.

Regards
Neil.

Thanks Neil, much appreciated. The CDS2 is a rather special one - it belonged to my late father Mike Moore (Just seen how long you have been in the company, so you will have known him well)

2 Likes

Indeed - I remember Mike very well. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Would that make you Matthew?

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Yes, I‘m Matthew :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can recall you working a short stint at the factory.

Hope you are well. :grinning:

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

I worked a couple of summer holidays back then - first PCBs, then wiring. Made a fair few 92s, 90s, Nait3s and CD3s! All is well thanks, just my poor CDS2 is ill :face_with_thermometer: Have been living in Germany for the last 15 odd years

Hi Matthew,

I’ve checked - we do still have the 324 ICs.

If you contact the factory direct via support@naimaudio.com & mark it for the attention of Jonathan, we should be able to help you out regarding a repair.

I’ve asked him to keep an eye out for any correspondence from you.

Regards
Neil.

4 Likes

While the Cds2 is still a very very very good cd transport, our local in NZ agent refuses to service mind , says it’s not worth it (for who?) Even though I’m happy to pay the fee. Kinda cheeses me off to tell you the truth.
I see flea bay has Cds2 laser mechanisms, not sure if they are legitimate or not.
Having a working order CDs2 is certainly well worth the effort and the hassle. FYI I brought a 555DR a short while back, and found the olive xps to be better on it. The synergy wasn’t there with the 555dr, found it to be over the top where the xps olive was way more relaxed and just as detailed etc just showed me how naim had it right from the start when came to the cds2, have since sold the 555dr…

Hi Neil,

Thanks ever so much for your help! I shall write to Jonathan asap

Kind Regards
Matthew

Unfortunately, this option is not open to US residents. I just got this email from AV Options (hah!):

“We have been receiving quite a few emails regarding service of older Naim CD players (CDS, CDS2, CDI, CD3, CD3-5 CD5). Unfortunately the transport mechanisms for these players have long been unavailable and stores of refurbished mechs are also long gone. Beware mechanisms (whether New Old Stock/NOS or “reconditioned") on eBay or other sites. In our experience these don’t work or at best fail after a few months.”