Cds2 + xps

The CDS2 only ever used the VAM1205, so no VAM 1202 update.

1 Like

Next step - serial number.

1 Like

My CDS2 and CDS3 sounded very similar with XPS. Quite a bit smoother and melodic than the CDX. I sold the CDS2 on and purchased the CDS3 when I discovered the laser mechs were gone. The CDS3 was far improved by adding a PS555. Unfortunately it started skipping and Naim could not repair it. I still miss the sound!

2 Likes

I went CDS2 with XPS and loved it. Got an NDS with 555PS at same time. So then decided to sell the CDS2 as I couldn’t justify having the two sources. I missed the CDS2 so decided to get a CDS3 which was great with the XPS2. I enjoyed both CD players very much. I sold the CDS3 as I needed to free up some money.

More recently I bought another CDS2 on a great deal with an XPS2. I missed the CDS2 so much I bought another.

It sounds fantastic. It’s different to an NDS and sounds a bit like an LP12. Lovely CD player.

If it dies I would consider buying another CDS2 or CDS3.

They are that good. Personally I think the CDS2 is slightly preferable than a CDS3 as it sounds a bit warmer and gets my toes tapping more.

2 Likes

I would just go ahead and buy it if you want a CDS2. There is a risk that it will fail and you can’t repair it. Alternating the pucks is a good idea and taking them out of the top loader when not in use. The mechs are available at present.

The CDS2 is a lovely player and it is definitely worth a punt if you can get a good price on it. I was really pleased when mine arrived 2 months ago. They sent me an XPS2 instead of an Olive XPS which I was quite happy about!

1 Like

:+1:

I owned both CDS2 and Ndac for about nine months, it was obvious to me the CDS2 was better. I asked quite a few people which they preferred, everybody chose the CDS2.

Sold the Ndac and bought a better turntable, then sold the CDS2. Now own another Ndac.

I found the difference between the CDS2 and streaming, was the CDS2 was extremely consistent, virtually every CD sounded fantastic. I find the same can’t be said about streaming.

2 Likes

I wonder if that is down to noise on the Ethernet connection. I find that using a £350 audiolab transport into my ndac is on a par with my £2000 Innuos pulse. I have ordered a pro jest cd box to see how much better cd can get

It was 12 years ago, before I started streaming. I was using a rotel cd player as transport and usb stick.

My cds2 was over 22 years old when I sold it and it only ever had one puck. I must have been lucky. I seem to remember that my puck had no rubber bits but can’t be sure as I never needed to look at it!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.