Cds3 and ndx2 power supply

Does anyone have 2 sources? And if so are they powered separately or do you switch between boxes?

If you switch between boxes you would need to power down the power supply before disconnecting and reconnecting the Burndy. It would probably be best to completely remove and then de-stress and re-form the connectors each time - that will give you best performance, I feel. And you will have to wait for the head unit to warm up and come to an optimal state. In short, I don’t think it’s a very practical proposition unless you use one source most of the time and only want to exercise the other occasionally.

If you use the NDX2 most, but want something to spin CDs every now and then, I would suggest what I did, which was to get a really top class transport (I used a Meridian 200) linked via s/pdif into one of the coaxial s/pdif inputs on the NDX2.

For all that, the CDS3 is a very beguiling player, so I can understand why you might want both, but I think you’ll need to either make a choice or else go for two supplies.

3 Likes

What cd transport did the Meridian 200 use, they seem to have held up remarkably well over time?

IIRC it’s one of the better CDM4 variants with a hall-effect motor.

1 Like

Thanks richard that makes perfect sense, the cds3 is with me for life such a great player

I purchased the CDS3 pre-loved earlier this year and it came with an XPS2 which I sent to service and just came back. Later I also picked up a pre-loved NDX2 and couldn’t help to also get the pre-loved 555DR that had accompanied it all along.

3 Likes

Superb but I was thinking about the box count

If this was a reply to me, I simply answered your question :slight_smile:

Does anyone have 2 sources? And if so are they powered separately or do you switch between boxes?

I was kicking this very issue around. Already have a ndx2 and xpsdr.
Was considering a cdx2.2 or a regular 2.

But, I’d feel compelled at some point to buy another PSU. And one at that i’d be unlikely to use at the same time as the other. And yes, the buggeration with swapping over the burndy was front and centre.
My answer was ( for me) quite simple.
Get a Naim cdp that has a S/PDIF output. Which left me with cdx2.2 or cd5xs. Until I saw the cost of a second hand cdx2.2.
I did consider a Meridian or even a new cdp transport. But it would not have looked right. Let alone the sound?
So, a second hand cd5xs it was. And is.
Doubt I’ll ever be able to compare a cdx2.2 S/PSIF into input 4 of the ndx2/xpsdr with that of the cd5xs.
But happy with my ability to play cds via my ndx2/xpsdr’s DAC.

1 Like

Well don’t, just count the number of stacks or the height or whatever the limiting factor is. The actual number of boxes is immaterial within the space limits. :grin:

2 Likes

Incidentally I use a DVD5 as a CD transport feeding the ND555’s DAC via SPdif. It was another of Richard’s recommendations when the Naim DAC first came out, there’s no temptation of another ps with that and it will play the odd DVD if you still have any.

3 Likes

I have an NDS with 555PS and CDS3 with XPS2. When the XPS2 was off for a service I was switching between the two. I found the 555PS sounded better than the XPS2 on the CDS3. When it came back from a service I have left them as they are and the CDS3 sounds fantastic with the XPS2. The NDS with 555 PS sounds a bit sharper and factoring functionality is the better and most used source.

Having said that I get alot of enjoyment from the CDS3 and am looking at keeping it.

If I were you I would get another power supply either XPS2, XPS DR, 555 DR or 555 depending on budget.

Swapping Burndys all the time and powering down is not enjoyment!

2 Likes

I am a long time CDS3 enthusiast, having moved to 555ps some years ago. While my CDS3 was back at HQ being repaired/serviced I bought an nDac to improve my rudimentary streaming setup.
As the CDS3 was away I used the 555ps and Super Lumina interconnect on the nDac and was pleased with the result.
However, when the CDS3 came back and I reverted to the standard on the nDac I did not feel bereft. The nDac still performs exceptionally well and the CDS3 is still sublime.
If I feel the need to improve the streaming option it takes a few minutes to move to a level that most people don’t know exists.

Powering down and swapping Burndys and is a very minor inconvenience!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.