CDS3 and XPS

I would stick with the original XPS2 and get it serviced lets face it the CDS3 was designed around this PSU :slight_smile:

Also save a few quid too.

4 Likes

It seems the best move of all at the moment. Keep it simple for time being.

The 555 PS sounds better for sure. But a serviced XPS2 will do the job for now.

1 Like

Exactly why you really should ‘try before you buy’ with these things! I went from lavender -> hi-line -> sarum t and my experience was a very positive one along that journey. It is amazing how they can produce totally different perceptions in folks’ systems. Whether it is our hearing or the different components through which the signal is passing; I haven’t a scooby!

Peter

1 Like

The Tuned Array is the older original Chord Sarum, from before Super Lumina was invented.
I’ve never had a listen with old Tuned Array, but Chord Sarum Super Array [the white cable] is a massive upgrade in musical pleasure from either the lavender or hi-line with CDS3 to 552, and definitely more superior to detail and realism compared to Super Lumina.
The Chord Sarum T is better still.

2 Likes

Morgana interconnect worth trying?

1 Like

What are you using @Svetty?

The one i tried was white…

There’s three sarum cables available:

The Chord sarum tuned array, sarum super array and sarum T.

Looking at prices used £770 for tuned array, £900 super array and £2000 for new sarum T.

Big money! And then sarum mains cable!

Plus the 555DR PS. Lol.

So looking at £10k to get things right!

I am sure all those changes would yield big improvements.

I think a service and then leave it for a few years. I think a 555PS may be worth it later down the line.

All three are white. They are 3 pin DIN. There is a 2 RCA to DIN as well.

I’ve stuck with a Hi-line. Nothing I’ve tried - at a price point I can live with - has bettered it.
Once I’ve finished black box upgrades - one more to go - I may be more inclined to look at cables if I get an itch to scratch…

1 Like

You going for 252 or 552 next?

Finances dictate that 252 is final piece in the puzzle for me. Will probably eventually get a streamer but CD555 will keep me happy for a while yet :smiley:

1 Like

You have a great system. The 252 or 552 is the natural progression as you know.

We’re of a similar generation here Dan - it’s been a fun journey so far :smiley:

1 Like

Very similar. Seem to have collected a few more boxes than you though. Lol.

My end game is:

Linn LP12 Radikal. Quite happy with Kore and Cirkus for now. Maybe Urika.

552 and 500.

Happy with NDS, CDS3. NDS will probably be replaced with ND555 when prices plummet in a few years on used market.

135s are great but to go forward really need the 500 to make a difference.

The 82 I have is very good indeed. To go forward a 552 will do it.

Priority is the 552. 500 can come later. Radikal will make a big difference.

But, these things take time unless you have very deep pockets.

Definitely acknowledge divergent pulls on finite resources. Family comes first…

1 Like

Am now in the process of booking the XPS2 service with Darran at Class A. Should be done in next week or so. This will provide me with excellent resale values if I decide to sell the XPS2 on and will ensure the unit is tip top!

Genuinely do not know the answer to this but I wondered if you are going to be without your XPS2 if there is any servicing requirement from which your CDS3 might benefit which Class A could deal with at the same time.

Rgds

Peter

2 Likes

The CDS3 seems okay. Best not to transport them or service them unless they are not working.

My understanding is the laser mech goes eventually and needs replacing. Until that time I will leave it as it is.

2 Likes

I got my CDS3 in summer as well and it also sounds glorious, at 13 years old (with a near-new VAM1250) and the XPS2 is this age as well. I have been thinking about shipping risks, too, and did ask Naim support. They said that they do recommend service after 10-12 year for the CDS3 and confirmed after I specifically asked about shipping risk and some advice to the contrary on the forum (in the CD serviceability thread). It’s most likely a consideration that the CDS3 mechs can still be replaced in case it gets damaged in shipping. Then again, if the sound is great you can be happy.

1 Like