CDS3 is Toast

In my view, the CDS2 or CDS3 outperforms any currently available streaming device, including the ND555 with two power supplies and a Uniti Core.

2 Likes

That could well be justified by looking at the specs. The CD players use same DAC chip as ND555 but with a CD specific DSP implementation rather than the wider purpose DSP in the ND555.

1 Like

A much discussed topic!

My ears are getting old, but I tried comparing NDX2 to CDS2 - the CDS2 won. Then we added XPSDR to the NDX2 and tried again. On some music, streaming won and on some it lost - no suprise. With a CD ripped to a Core and played back over NDX2/ XPSDR, or played directly on CDS2, none of could pick a consistent winner & most of us couldn’t tell which was which.

That looks to be a very different result from yours. In what way (s) did the ND555/ Core lose out?

1 Like

It would be great if you could get it fixed. I also think that it would be in the ‘public interest’ to be able to post the details of the repair here. I understand Naim don’t like non-factory modifications but to my mind, when the factory no longer support the product and the only other option is junking a very expensive piece of equipment, I think an exception should be made.

One additional thought, if the transport cannot be repaired/replaced could you find someone who will enable you to access the DAC section with a SPDF or even USB interface module? Such DIY modules do exist and I’m sure an electronics engineer could implement it safely/reliably. This would enable you to partner the expensive CD player’s DAC and output stages with a digital transport of your choice.

Part 1 - I and others have great sympathy, but Naim is not a internet-based charity so (when I remember them) I can understand most of the rules. Of course, this is why Pinkfishmedia exists…

2 Likes

You have our sympathies. See the link below for our experience in trying to replace a CDS3/555PSDR with a streaming system a couple of years ago:

A streamer to replace a CDS3?

Best regards, BF

1 Like

The why I went for the PhoenixNet. Too many little boxes and cables were bothering me.

2 Likes

To make it clear, I don’t own any of the affected CD players myself - I have a CD5si which I hope is supported for a while yet🤞

All I was suggesting was that for a product long out of production and with no direct replacement on offer (therefore repairs don’t cost sales of new kit) information on a safe and accepted repair would be of benefit to forum members, especially as much Naim equipment originally cost as much as a used or even a new car. Don’t get me wrong, Naim support equipment for much longer than most manufacturers which is excellent. As you say however, perhaps there are alternative sources of information to keep no longer supported products going?

2 Likes

It is a great shame that Naim can’t service these players anymore. Who knows they may find a transport gold mine and resume servicing. I don’t think I could part with mine and hopefully « she » is a bit more fidele than @Nan’s cds3

1 Like

Does anyone know if a CDS3 would benefit from a service if the mech is still working?
I.e. straight forward service due to age.

Naim recommend not - with any CD player shipping risks possible mech failure - unless there’s some other fault such as DAC or relay.

Mine was repaired in Salisbury. Fortunately a DAC needed replacing and the transport was tested. All fine apparently. The odd thing I blamed it on all the other equipment and sent it all off for a « repair » but it was just serviced and recapped. After that I sent the CDS3 off for repair and all is well now

2 Likes

In 2020 I asked Naim support specifically about servicing a CDS3 and the response was “The 10 year service recommendation also applies to the CDS3”

Interesting. I guess they have changed their advice. @NeilS can probably confirm or otherwise. Thanks for letting me know.

I think that in 2020 we still had stocks of 1202 mechs for the CDS3, so it was less of a concern.
I’ll confirm with Tech Support regarding Naim’s current advice on the subject.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

To avoid damage in transit could the job be booked through a dealer but hand delivered and collected?

The Naim distributor could not service CD players. They had to be sent back to Salisbury

1 Like

Meant hand delivered etc to Salisbury of course. Sorry for the confusion.

Naim relaxed the policy a bit during Covid so that a service could be booked through a dealer but then the kit would be couriered from and to the owner. But I don’t think they allow that now.

But I don’t think they have allowed owners to deliver or collect for many years.

1 Like

This is my understanding too David.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like