CDS3 is Toast

I think that the CDS2 was disappointing,the CDS was much more musical and fun to listen to.

3 Likes

I see. Thank you Richard.

Never tried a CDS so can’t compare with a CDS2… Of course everyone has different experiences and opinions - but i would wager the phrase “Ripped CD’s are superior musically to any Naim CD player” is not true.
Again ripped on what/played on what? If my CDS2 sounds better than my unitiserver+ NDX2 - i really don’t believe some ripped CD will be better than a CD555

2 Likes

I did and I can.

Let’s just say I don’t share the opinion that @igel expressed on the relative merits of CDS v CDS2.

1 Like

Accurately ripped bitcorrect on a computer or Naim HDX etc played by a media player.
A CD player has to correct in real time by “guessing” interpolating,no fancy Dac can restore those errors.
I think it’s easy to hear.

There are many other threads on this.

My tuppenceworth is that a CDS2 is downright great as a CD player - better than a naked NDX2 and about as good as NDX2 with XPSDR.

Clearly, others disagree, but then there isn’t much that can be said here that won’t get any naysayers at all.

3 Likes

Did you compare with ripped CD’s on a USB stick into the NDX ?

For sure USB stick Hires < CDS2 in my experience. . Everyone has their own experience and taste - fair enough - just challenging the opinion “Ripped CD’s are superior musically to any Naim CD player” stated as a fact - which clearly is not true

2 Likes

Totally agree

I wrote,that I’ve heard.
I think that is an expression of a personal opinion.

2 Likes

Everyone has their own view - not challenging that -i just ` don’t agree with this. It’s not all about the DAC. I’m a vinyl person and for me that trumps alot - but i still prefer my CD player to ripping - Qboz is as good as ripping CD in my experience.

1 Like

Try a good switch like Etheregen and you will not miss your Cds3. I missed first my Cdx2/ xps2 when I bought the Nds. Until I improved the network, specially switch and linear ps. Ethernet cables too.

2 Likes

No problem,I just share my personal experiences and you yours.

1 Like

And a cheap and easy way is to use a USB stick into the streamer,before the Switch and cables are sorted,I think.

It’s a long long time since I worked with compact discs, so things are a bit rusty, but I grabbed my old “The Compact Disc Handbook” by Pohlmann, which was given to me by DCA systems when I went to them for training) and I’m still wondering “how” a computer “accurately” rips an “audio” CD and by that I mean that the audio data retrieved is 100% the same as the audio used for mastering/manufacturing the CD. CD players rely on CIRC to detect and correct errors and according to my little (350 page) book, “it should be noted that CD players are not created equal in terms of error correction. Any CD player’s error correction ability is limited to the success of the strategy chosen to decode the CIRC code on the disc”.
A “data” CD contains 2048 bytes of user data per sector with the remaining (of 2352) bytes for error detection and correction. An “Audio” CD contains 2352 bytes of data for the audio. Interpolation is only used on an audio player when the error is too big, so it “guesses” what the data should be. A computer that reads a disc "bit correctly’ still has to read sector by sector. The data retrieved from those sectors should still be same as that read from an “audio” player. The only difference being the addition of interpolation. The result of a read in a computer may be “bit” correct to what was retrievable from the disc (because nothing else was applied to it), but it does not mean it is “correct” and 100% the same as the original source data. It could be argued that the addition of any interpolation has created something closer to the original source data.
Whether it is better to your ears is a different thing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Many variables obviously in each chain that will affect quality, but if you rip them CD’s correctly, and store them on a proper audio device, then you should find that the quality will atleast match or maybe slightly inpoved if played through the same dac.
Also you get all the advantages that having music stored on one device, and no worries about laser, and transport problems going forward.
I for one wouldn’t go back to owning a CD player these day’s, as it’s more expense, will potentially end up being scrap, and doesn’t have any benefits over me ripping said CD in the first place.
But we are all different, and some like popping that cd in a player, hopefully the draw will open and the player will read it, then listen to it, get up, remove it, try finding the next cd you fancy listening to in the huge cd rack you have down one wall, then sit down again and repeat. Lets not even mention if you fancy playing them cd’s in other rooms round your house, car, gym, hoilday, etc, etc.

2 Likes

It’s all good!

I agree. Compared to Nds connected to my commercial router, and even after to a Netgear switch, the usb stick was ahead. Things changed when i added a linear ps to the Netgear. It was slightly better. Then Cisco 2960 switch still improved vs the usb stick…

1 Like

Thanks Rooster. The switch, ps and cables are on my list. I’m currently using a cisco switch (green one) and its doing an ok job atm, but im sure my system is capable of a lot more.

1 Like

Yes, the Cisco is already fine. The Etheregen improved upon it giving more fluidity, naturalness and refinement. Then a good linear ps can give even more than going from Etheregen to Cisco. Particularly more openess and a full and rich sound. At least my experience. The prat is improved also.

1 Like