CDS3 is Toast

Naim recommend not - with any CD player shipping risks possible mech failure - unless there’s some other fault such as DAC or relay.

Mine was repaired in Salisbury. Fortunately a DAC needed replacing and the transport was tested. All fine apparently. The odd thing I blamed it on all the other equipment and sent it all off for a « repair » but it was just serviced and recapped. After that I sent the CDS3 off for repair and all is well now

2 Likes

In 2020 I asked Naim support specifically about servicing a CDS3 and the response was “The 10 year service recommendation also applies to the CDS3”

Interesting. I guess they have changed their advice. @NeilS can probably confirm or otherwise. Thanks for letting me know.

I think that in 2020 we still had stocks of 1202 mechs for the CDS3, so it was less of a concern.
I’ll confirm with Tech Support regarding Naim’s current advice on the subject.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

To avoid damage in transit could the job be booked through a dealer but hand delivered and collected?

The Naim distributor could not service CD players. They had to be sent back to Salisbury

1 Like

Meant hand delivered etc to Salisbury of course. Sorry for the confusion.

Naim relaxed the policy a bit during Covid so that a service could be booked through a dealer but then the kit would be couriered from and to the owner. But I don’t think they allow that now.

But I don’t think they have allowed owners to deliver or collect for many years.

1 Like

This is my understanding too David.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

And what exactly is the justification for this policy?

(It’s the fly-fishing season, and I’m a member of Salis & Dist Angling Club. I could drop the d@mn things off on my way to the beats at Durnford!! :laughing:)

1 Like

Afraid I’m not qualified to answer that - I don’t make the rules! :grinning:

Regards
Neil.

Hmmmmmm

1 Like

It is a bit different to Quad’s policy for example. A few years ago, a Quad 405-2 power amp I used in an occasional system started blowing fuses on one channel, I posted Quad the pcb for the affected channel, they fixed it (it was a failed transistor) and posted it back to me. The charge was about £45. No dealer was involved. It still works that way.

1 Like

Quad erat demonstrandum :slight_smile:

This is only a suggestion, Cyrus circuit boards and units are made by SMS in Nottingham. The cdi-XR and CDT-XR servos laser etc are made by SMS, Cyrus only buy in the loader, die cast case, toroidal transformer.
Cyrus have complete control over the servo evolution cd player. Considering many cds3 owners are concerned regarding their players I wonder if cyrus could be approached to replicate the failed servos. Considering it’s a Philips based unit perhaps not too complicated to replicate :thinking:. Worth a though

2 Likes

If they or anyone apart from Naim did agree to do this, I doubt that we would be allowed to mention it here, or to mention that there was anything that we could not mention.

1 Like

I understand however I was thinking about owners of cds3 players keeping them going rather than throwing them in the wheelie bin eeekk :hushed:. Perhaps the forum could assist in their hour of need to keep these players going.
I like many others do not want streaming and why should we be forced into it. I enjoy the tactile experience of choosing a cd to play , reading the sleeve notes and physical experience of loading a new disc. Philips and Sony knew the format was good 40 years ago its all there in the cd the limit of most people’s hearing. As we approach mid 30s nearly all humans cannot hear above 15kz so 20 to 20 khz is beyond hearing of most people so high resolution is irrelevant really. If you think it sounds good you’ll convince yourself it does.
Getting back on track I know the forum rules but we could help our fellow owners to keep these splendid players going what’s wrong with that

3 Likes

When I listen to an accurately ripped CD on a Naim Streamer I hear the music much better,tighter bass ,better pace rythm and timing, more natural sounding voices and instruments than on a CDS3,for me that is more importantant than changing CD discs.

I think it’s good that Naim have left the inferior CD player technology.

2 Likes

Audio-T in Reading mentioned they knew someone a year or so ago when I was last there. Not sure if this is allowed- not a commercial link and a remote possibility of help

1 Like