Cdx channel loss

Our much loved and regularly used CDX/XPS CD player has lost a channel! It’s over 20 years old, have cleaned lens, swapped cables etc, but no luck. Any ideas how to sort, please as I understand although Naim serviced it 4 years ago, shortage of parts mean they may not be able to repair now.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

@Neils may have an idea here…

Single channel loss on the CDX is most likely down to a failed DAC.
Give me a minute & I’ll check whether we still have stock of these…

Mmm… the stock figure is critically low. I’ll need to physically check next week for you.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Wow! Neil - Thanks for prompt reply - worried we’d need a new player. If you’ve got the bits - rough idea of cost would be appreciated. Thanks again

To be fair to Neil, repair estimates are not something he can give here on the forum. You should contact your Naim dealer and they can liaise with Naim directly.

1 Like

Whoops! Apologies Richard for crossing the line, but it is my first venture into the forum, so will go to Acoustica for estimate if spares found available.

Hi Klinkhamer,

I confirm that we currently have these DACs.
I’d advise acting swiftly!

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Thanks, Neil - you’re a star! Had already booked a visit to Acoustica tomorrow to try out likely replacements, so as both CDX and XPS were serviced by yourselves 4 years ago, will arrange transport etc with them -please hang onto that replacement till it arrives Thanks, again - the forum has done its job

2 Likes

Neil S - Left poorly CDX with Acoustica this afternoon to forward to yourselves. Listened to CD5si and Saturn mk3 in case it can’t be revived.

1 Like

We will do our best! It may be a simple capacitor short in the analogue filter, but whatever - we’ll hopefully get it up & running.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

Thanks to Richard and Neil S, plus Acoustica and other Naim staff involved. Our 21 year old olive CDX is now back, connected to its partner XPS , with new DAC firing up both channels so we spent this evening enjoying some favourite music. Took opportunity to remake and break all connections and it was sounding much improved, perhaps it had deteriorated slowly before giving up the ghost. Thanks again!

Ps Now all we have to do is decide whether to send more cash to Linn again for further modernising 40 year old LP12 or consider swapping for a young upstart turntable to replace the old warrior………

6 Likes

Now that’s what I call customer service, what an amazing result.
I love hearing about these.
I think it’s one of the main reasons Naim is so admired in the audio industry.
Well done to all involved :clap:

2 Likes

…By a lot of Naim owners, myself included… :slightly_smiling_face:

Well done to @NeilS and all involved at Naim, for fixing this CDX.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.