CDX repair or buy a CD5X?

Ah, that might be the difference, it’s the video version. Thanks Chris, so if I got a cheap intro like a chromecast with out breaking the bank what dac would you say?

Any DAC with an optical input should work, but it’s hard to know where to start as there are so many. What’s your budget?

Think g cheap end then if I do go stream then I’ll spend the money. Or do I just try it analogue?

Thanks for this.

What are you wanting to stream from?

From reading other forums, the Topping D30 appears to be well liked as an entry level DAC, for about eighty quid from Amazon. Inputs are USB, SPDIF electrical and SPDIF optical.

Maybe not relevant, bur worth a thought: for me, a dying CD player was the trigger to change to streaming, ripping all my CDs. Many advantages, including, potentially, sound quality, + convenience, space and if interested the ability to stream online as well…

1 Like

There’s no harm in trying it analogue, at least you’ll get to see how it works. You’ll need a 3.5mm jack to 5 pin DIN lead.

1 Like

Thanks all. I’m going to get the CD repaired, but also see what I think of the streaming sounds, I’ll be using Amazon HD, any issues with that and chromecast?

1 Like

Unfortunately Chromecast only supports lossy Amazon ‘Standard’ at the moment, so you may find that it doesn’t sound great.

Well I can try the lower standard if I have to hahaha. I can then at least see if it’s an option for what I want. I’ve ended the sale if my XPS and get the CDX repaired, even if I sell them both together I’ll get more for them both. Thanks all. Appreciated.

I recently splurged for an ndx2, even though I really knew nothing about streaming. I’m somewhat disabled so while lp’s are still my favourite,the constant “running” to get the arm up after a relatively short time makes it more a luxury rather than everyday event. I already had (still have) a cd5(?), but trying to get a final system in place -hence the ndx2. Anyway, I use it as a pure streamer w/tidal. While it doesn’t really help find new music, it does let you access a tremendous amount. Basically (for me) it is a giant jukebox. I would recommend switching over to streaming.I think the tidal I use is basically cd quality and for the most part very happy with it. I believe I can play higher resolution but tidal only goes this far - w/o mqa.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.